HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Have Vertex electric water heater that isn't heating. Must

Customer Question
Have Vertex electric water heater...
Have Vertex electric water heater that isn't heating. Must be a short in the system because it blow fuses out. What do I do? Trish
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I'm a new widow, hadn't even looked at the water heater before--didn't check settings or filter. I don't seem to have a brochure on the system to explain how to do things.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would like to but tell me if you think a novice can do it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: a little bit of water underneath it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
1/2/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Do you have the model on the heater?And a meter for troubleshooting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
GPHE 50 100
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope. The water heater appears to be have some sort of short that is tripping the outlet that power it not to work. Any ideas?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there anything we can check know that the water heater keeps tripping the outlet?

Tripping a circuit breaker?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is what it is doing.

Try disconnecting the exhaust fan wiring and see if it still trips.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could you tell me how to do that?

Let me see if I can find a diagram

If you see a wiring diagram on unit you can send me a pic of would help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The motor is sitting on top of the cylinder. I think. Is this the right area to pull wires?

You can unplug at motor or where they leave board

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Finally figured that out...and it did not trip it.

OK the motor is most likely shorted internally and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What's next?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it. Where can I buy that?

Let me see what I can find

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any danger leaving the water heater on at this point? Should I shut it off?

Turn off until you get fixed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a small amount of water under the cylinder, is this something to be concerned about or possibly part of the problem?

Issue probably due to the exhaust motor not venting properly.I am not finding a online suce, but you can try http://www.hotwater.com/parts/ or call around to local plumbing suppliers and give them model on the heater.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician