airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My Payne PG8Maa036070 won't stay on, and the only way i can

Customer Question

My Payne PG8Maa036070 won't stay on, and the only way i can get it to turn on is to throw the main breaker switch for my house and turn it back on. But it only stays on a few minutes and then stops. it's blinking the one short followed by 3. I had the problem earlier this winter, and the bearings were worn on the part I replaced. The box the part came in has a number PATZ-1734 and 1Z4F5V65035213. It was working fine until this evening. I have checked the filter. I did have the central air conditioning on for a few days and then south Texas had a cold front yesterday. Can you help?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes. I checked the thermostat, it's brand new and has worked fine. the filter is clean. I took off the front panel and saw the light blinking just as before - 1 then three in a row.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on what it needs. I am a fairly young widow and used to doing stuff myself. But I have a very helpful neighbor and my son is going to be here Sunday. I am at our vacation home and not my permanent residence.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Can't think of anything else. I turned it on last night and it worked fine through the night. But now, when I try to get it to turn on, the automatic central fan comes on for a minute or two, then shuts off. Then I hear the burners kick in. Then the fan comes back on but the air coming out of the vents is not warm. The fan shuts itself off after a few minutes. Not sure why all this happens in that order. ok
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  airheatman replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** be helping you.Let me grab a nabual

The 13 flash code is an open high temp limit error.

There may be

several limits on the furnace.Blow describes locations:

PRI***** *****MIT

The pri***** *****mit control is located on the partition panel and monitors

heat exchanger compartment temperatures. It is a normally closed

(electrically), automatic reset, temperature-activated sensor.

The limit guards against the overheating as a result of insufficient

conditioned air passing over the heat exchanger.

AUXILIARY LIMIT

The auxiliary limit control(s) are located on or near the circulator

blower and monitors heat exchanger compartment temperatures.

They are a normally-closed (electrically), manual-reset, temperature

activated sensors. These limits guard against overheating as a

result of insufficient conditioned air passing over the heat exchanger.

VENT DRAFGAURD

These would be located on the draft hood if you have one on your furnace.

ROLLOUT LIMIT

The rollout limit controls are mounted on the burner/manifold assembly

and monitor the burner flame. They are normally-closed

(electrically), manual-reset, temperature-activated sensors. These

limits guard against burner flames not being properly drawn into the

heat exchanger.

Lets start with the most simple and easy. Look near burners for limits with a little button in center.It will push in to reset.If none are tripped we will go from here. Let me know if you have a multi meter for troubleshooting.

http://i.imgur.com/CGkB9sa.jpg

Below is a diagram to help you locate the limits.

All of the limits are in the same circuit

To determine which one is open. Disconnect one at a time and connect wires together using a fuse, straightened paperclip or something to bypass each one until the error goes away.

http://i.imgur.com/Aqd9O0f.png

http://i.imgur.com/WqmGzzO.png

Let me know what you find.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am on my laptop and can carry it over to the inside unit. I've already taken the front panel off. I'm not seeing a button to push, but there is a switch that is labelled on/off
The only thing I have that I think may be a multi tester is a yellow Cen-Tech P30756 with red and black wires and metal tips on the ends. Is that what you mean ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm pretty disappointed that the tech apparently didn't stay on our conversation on line to see if I was able to do as he suggests. I sent a question, then saw his reply which indicated that we were done and to let him know if I had further questions. Well, I did, but no reply, so have requested a phone call.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. So the tech is unable to call me, but is available for online be conversation. I would think the online conversation would take much longer. This is the third response I've sent to the tech and I'm not getting any answers Very disappointed but really would like to see if I can get heat tonight.

I am unable to take phone call right now. This will be presented to my colleagues so you may get a call from one of them if available.We can continue here to try to solve your I stepped away from my des to eat.

I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk and delay getting assistance..Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.phone call is auto generated by the site.

It has been more than 15 minutes since my last post and I see no one has picked the question up.Getting an expert on Friday night especially on a holiday weekend can sometimes be almost as difficult s getting an onsite tech on weekend.Getting one who can also sit on phone for an hour even more difficult.That is the average time it takes to do a troubleshooting call.

If you want help.I am here and can work with you online.I have provided a good bit of information that should get you well on your way to solving the issue if not all the way.

If you want help let me know what part you so not understand or need help with.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think I'll do without, thank you. I noticed that you sent me info and links and said I should get back with you. That was at 6:33. At 6:35 I sent you my further question and never got a reply.

No problem my friend.Have a great night.You may contact customer service and let them know you chose not to get the issue solved because you were not called or replied to quick enough.Otherwise you will still be billed. Happy New Year!

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help