HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Oil burner cracked.. we do not have the 5000 to fix it yet..

oil burner cracked.. we...

oil burner cracked.. we do not have the 5000 to fix it yet.. maybe a few more weeks.. its very cold tonight and we were wondering if you had any ideas to stop the pipes from freezing..or if you know any way to fix a boiler that is leaking on to the fire and going out

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It was fine but my husband cleaned it and turned it back on..neghibors saw black smoke and sparks from chimney..he turned it off and called the guy..the guy came about 3 days ago says its cracked

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Noooo

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We have 2000 on thursday and the rest in about 2 weeks

12/11/2016
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Some things you can do to help keep the pipes from freezing: run water in every sink and the tub/shower. Turn on hot and cold and let it run at at least a pencil thick stream. Turn the thermostats up. This will keep the pump running which may keep the water moving in the pipes. Disconnect the lead to the burner that's connected to B1 or B2 on the aqustat relay so the burner won't run which could make the crack worse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks I knew this from reading a few blogs but i was wondering if you had any ideas that could fix it temp until we had the rest of the money

You can try boiler stop leak which you can get at any plumbing supply house. You add it to the boiler following the instructions on the container

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
like the tire fix? lol
sounds like nothing to loose..and they did clean it out but is it ok to run with smoke and sparks coming out of the chimney

Not exactly but the idea is the same. If there's water leaking into the chamber there's no way it will burn properly. You can't run the burner until you stop the leak

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there a way to stop the leak or is this just a no win situation? do you have any idea if its worth changing over from the water heater and oil tank combo to separates or should we just keep it as is when replacing the unit..and can you suggest a good unit thats a good price?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was thinking maybe for the 2000 we could buy the oil burner and keep the water heater part for later or is it just all together?

The stop leak is a temporary fix. I don't follow your other questions. You need to get quotes from local plumbers. No plumber will install a boiler you provide so a good unit good price won't help you. You can probably re-use the burner not the boiler.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much for all the ideas

You're welcome.

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor