HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a trance xl80 that won't ignite. Small fan blows,

Customer Question
I have a trance xl80...
I have a trance xl80 that won't ignite. Small fan blows, igniter glows read but has value doesn't open. I checked that gas is flowing on other appliances. I get the 2 flashes flash code. This has happened before, a year ago and then just two weeks ago. Each time unplugging the three position plug on the gas valve worked to get everything going but won't now
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
12/10/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Unfortunately this is a fairly common fault.

The board is flashing ignition failure because it thinks it has sent power to the ignitor and then to the valve, but there is no flame.

It ia always one of 2 items....it is the board thinking it sent 24v to gas valve but actually did not...or the board did send 24v to valve but the valve is bad.

It is more commonly the valve on this unit but the 24v test tells for sure.

Valve gets 24v but doesnt open = valve

No 24v =bad board

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which wires do I need to check to determine if the 24v is being sent

do you have the TUD or TDD?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry not sure what either is

the model number...the XL is just a series...there is a model num ber on a tag inside the furnace

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tdd

Thank you...then 2 of the 3 wires to valve are red and black?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've got a red and gray coming from the board and a brown coming from pressure sensor

Ok so your unit is older than 5yrs then?

Ok lets back track a little...do you have 2 pressure switches?

I would like to do a test if you game for a hands on test?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there are two sensors. I'll do everything I can to get the heat on.... dinner party starting in two hours...

ok turn power off and take the wires off the pressure switch. Shoild be 2 browns on one side and a orange on the other..correct?

this will move quicker now that I know you have a 2 stage..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just on the one sensor with the two brown and one orange? It's marked P01 HI

we want to take the wires off

start furnace

And AFTER the exhaust fan starts connect the wires direct together...a short wire shaped in a U works well for sticking in the wire end connectors.

Then tell me code..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Working on that now

standing by

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it hasn't behaved any different and code is still 2 flashes, no flame

thank you...now put those wires back...and do the same thing to the other pressure switch

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
far nothing new. Just waiting it to go through all the cycles

understood....at any time has the gas valve clicked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've only really heard clicks from the board. I think I can hear a small humm at the value for a few seconds. Just got the same code

Thank you.

Well we took the entire pressure circuit out of the picture...which puts us back to the valve issue.

You can unplug the 3 wire plug and put meter lead black to a ground and meter lead red to the black during ignition...you will only see voltage for 3 seconds...then test the gray and brown the same way...during the glow it will be energized for 3 seconds..

no 24 on any wires = board

24 on any wire = bad valve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only have red, light gray and brown. Set the meter to 200 D.C.?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 20 then 200

we want ac volts~

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got over 24v on the red wire

thank you..you just confirmed bad gas valve.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dang. You wouldn't happen to have the PN would you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It did this just last weekend and started working fine after I messed with it. Any tricks to limp through tonight

I have wedged tooth picks...tapped with hammer...depends if the there is a connection bad, poor solenoid etc.

See here

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech