Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a weil-mclain boiler from 1987. I have just been told

Customer Question

I have a weil-mclain boiler from 1987. I have just been told the system cycling has failed due to defective mercury vapor switch whichis obsolete. also gas value pilotburner assembly ignition and module flame sensor for retrofit. What should I do? I live in WashingtonDC. I need to find a competent company here that won't overcharge me. Help!!!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: i just found out about it with the fall maintenance ccheckup
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no I have to decide wheher to have this done by a contractor or have the whole unit replaced. Since i am a senior citizen, i know iwill be taken. Help
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: i cant do the work myself. i need to get a contractor here for some estimates.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i need to quickly get help before it gets colder. who in the dc area can helpme without gouginme
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The mecury flame sensor is still available but it is hard to find and was a bad idea to begin with. The unit can be retrofitted with current equipment for a lot less than a new boiler. Probably 1/5 (or less) to retrofit than replace the boiler. Since your boiler could last another 10 or 20 years retrofitting is a good option. I can't give you a referral but if you can't get a recommendation from someone you trust then try a referral service like Angie's List or HomeAdvisor.com. HomeAdvisor.com (< click on the link) doesn't charge a membership fee like Angie's List and the contractors they will put in touch with you have real reviews on the website. Type in "weil mclain boiler repair" in the service need box on their home page.