Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a trane XV80 that is not putting out heat all of a

Customer Question

hi, i have a trane XV80 that is not putting out heat all of a sudden. the blower is running but no heat. and it has a blinking red light flashing 4 times
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yes, the thermostat is set to 71 but the temperature in the house is 64. and I checked the air filter. it's really dirty. i took the air filter out completely and tried running the furnace without it. still getting same error
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends on how much work is involved! i can follow directions, but am not very experienced in hvac stuff
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: don't think so
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

A 4 flash error is an open limit circuit error.

You can try resetting the rollout switch(es) (see attached pic for typical). They are located just outside the burner chamber. Turn off the power then press the small button between the 2 leads to reset it. If it clicks you have reset it and the unit will fire up when you turn the power back on with any luck. If it doesn't click it wasn't tripped.
Check to be sure there isn't more than one by tracing the leads connected to the switch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i found two of those switches. looks like they werent tripped though, because I could not push the button down, no click.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Then you either have an open limit switch or a bad connection in the limit circuit. Tracking these culprits down is best left to a pro.

Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Based on your description of your capabilities you've done all you can