airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I need the know the best size Heater for a 1400 sq foot home

Customer Question

I need the know the best size Heater for a 1400 sq foot home with conventional flooring and the ducting running under the flooring This is replacing an existing heater which has been told to me that was the wrong sized unit for this size house
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Are you interested in getting a heater that mounts to the floor and wall or just a heater that can be moved around in the house?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
mounts to the floor to replace the existing unit

now would you prefer gas or electric?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
gas
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no this needs to be a forced air unit that will connect to the existing ducting
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
These don't seem like they will connect to my ducting that is currently running under the house. Am I missing something here
My current unit is in a hall closet and the gas vents thru the roof and the air is forced down through the ducts to each room in the house

ok I was not aware of that I will open this up to see if anyone else may be able to find a better one for you.

Expert:  airheatman replied 10 months ago.

I am Tim , a different expert.I will be happy to assist you with the information you are looking for.

To begin with, the only way to be sure unit is sized properly is to do a load calculation on the home.THis is known as a Manual J Load Calculation.It is a program where you enter all of the building construction factors such as square footage of home, construction type such as wood frame or brick,how much attic insulation, wall insulation. whether on a slab or up off the ground on peers. the square footage of glass windows and type of windows facing each direction, whether there are covered porches shading windows,number of occupants(figuring 2 per bedroom),number of fireplaces if any, number and type of exterior doors,ceiling types,geographic location and other such factors.For example a 1500 square foot well insulated home with double pane windows on a slab with 8 foot ceilings and very few windows facing north with 2 bedrooms in Northern Michigan might require an 80,000 btu unit to properly heat the home where as the same1500 square home in South Alabama might only require 50,000 btus to heat properly.

This takes about an hour and a half to two hours to do a manaual J by entering all the construction factors.Most contractors will run a manual J for about 200.00 and add it to the price of the installation.Many states are requiring the manual J in order for permit to be issued and inspected.This protects the homeowner and guarantees unit is properly sized.

If you can provide me a few details like where you live, amount of glass facing north ,how well insulated and whether on slab or piers I can give you a closer idea.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
let me work on this information tonight, when I am home from work and will send you the information about the house
thank you

Sounds good