HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Ruud 92% eff furnace that's been operating for 4

Customer Question
years, There's been no changes...
I have a Ruud 92% eff furnace that's been operating for 4 years, There's been no changes electrically to the furnace or house. Now I am getting a code 26, saying the neutral is reversed.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/27/2016
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 11 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is Luke

NOTE: I can only get credited for assisting you if you click the 5 star rating at the top of page if we are done

Are you ready?

Shut power off to furnace, open cover box where the 120V wire enters the furnace, check all connections, White to white, black to black, then proper ground wire connection. restore power and check if code still there.

If still there.. shut power off again and reverse wires in same box White to black ..

restore power and try.

Hope you got system going by now, can we close question?

NOTE: I can only get credited for assisting you if you click the 5 star rating at the top of page if you are satisfied with my answer

Your answer was not helpful. It did not seem like you read the question. The furnace has worked for 3 years and there has been no electrical changes. It tried your suggestion and of course it did not work.
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, This is not an answer... it is step one of what could turn out to be a many step diagnostic process.

if the error code did not go away when you reversed white and black as the previous tech suggested, then it is probably a bogus error code, or some sort of shorted wire inside the furnace... since there have been no wiring changes in the house, all this points to a bogus error code due to the printed circuit board going bad.

That said it is possible that a 120v cord cap (plug) is wired incorrectly on a new appliance in the house, that can also result in reverse polarity.

Click here for a superb video on the topic

Next step is to do a heat stress test on the printed circuit board, use a hair drier to warm it slowly and gently to 120F, if there is any chance in behavior or the error code goes away etc, the board has a micro crack in one of its circuits that expanded when the board was warmed up.

We can go from there. I am off to bed shortly and will be back at 7 am

Regardless

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer