HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I am trying to attach a Nest to an HZ311 two zone system. My

Customer Question
original Honewell panel just had...
I am trying to attach a Nest to an HZ311 two zone system. My original Honewell panel just had 3 wires going to it - red, green, and white, labeled 1, 2, and 3. Nest gives me an error saying that the RC line has now power. I have access to additional wires that are unused in the line.
JA: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?
Customer: I'm appying the Nest tonight - I just bought it. The home was built 2 years ago, so everything is new.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I usually do. Am I foolish for trying?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It sounds from another post (http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/8rs02-i-m-trying-connect-nest-hz311-needs-common.html) that I can use other wires to complete the job. However, I'm not sure how I should wire things on the HZ311 side to make this work. Way cool! Well worth 5$ (or a lot more) if you can guide me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
11/26/2016
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 1 year ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. This is a little weird. I thought I was paying for your answer (well worth it!), and suddenly I was asked to sign up for a monthly subscription. Seems like bait and switch. Are we good to go so you can answer my questions without my signing up for some sort of recurring monthly expense?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm very happy to type. The system is trying to push me to make a call. Arrgh....

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Just ignore the pop ups I have nothing to do with that. DO you have a wire connected to the RC?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm type well, but don't know HVAC. You are and HVAC expert, but not a great typist. I think we will get along just fine - we both will just need a little patience with each other. My Honeywell unit had 3 wires coming out: red, green, and white. I placed red to Rc (arbitrary choice - I could have placed it with Rh), white to W1, and Green to G. The unit identified no power with Rc as an error. It was then that I realized that the Honeywell is a 2 zone unit that with an HZ311 panel connected to two accessory panels. I think each accessory panel goes to my two Honeywell thermostats, both of which I would like to replace.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I pulled the thermostat wiring out of the wall, hoping to find extra wires. I did. I have blue and yellow that I can use.

Let me see if another expert can assist you in this I am having some computer issues on my end.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This isn't working out very well. Any idea on whether we can continue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still no response.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer