HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I am having a problem with having furnace blower constantly

Customer Question
Hi I am having a...
Hi I am having a problem with having furnace blower constantly running
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: yes i just cleaned them - it's Honeywell electrionic air cleaner system should i look into replacing cell as well?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes. i just replaced thermostat as well. was thinking that was the issue.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/26/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 12 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Issue is most likely a bad relay on the furnace control board.

Can you give me complete model from inside furnace in burner compartment so I can provide guidance with this specific unit.Model will be on a label just above burners on right or left inside panel

http://i.imgur.com/U8b0GXT.jpg

Its Rheem - cant locate model #. should I send you pic?
its RHEEM - RGD-J-12EARJR
air filters may be an issue as well. First time home owner and not sure if Honeywell electrical air cleaner needs replacement - either filters or the cell. also filters are only installed on one side of the unit. the side that pumps the air into the vent -> other side is open into HVAC unit. sounds right? or should i have filters on both sides?

Does both heat and cool work and cycle normaly other than indoor fan just keeps running?

i havent tested cool yet, getting cold in Chicago but yes - heat cycles normally and responds to themoset

OK a mentioned.I suspect relay stuck on board. Lets do this, Remove the thermostat wires from furnace control board,then hold door switch in and see if blower comes on .

All the thermostat wires? all 5 of them?

Yes what we want to do is make sue there is no external issue outside of the furnace that is telling blower to run

done. blower stills turns on despite having thermostat wires being removed from circuit of HVAC board

I suspected it would.If furnace heats properly except for blower not shutting off, you are going to need to replace the control board.You will see a couple of small black boxes on control board.These are the relays that tell the fan to come on in heat or cool speeds. The contacts are stuck closed and not releasing after call for heat is satisfied.

There should be a part number on control board beginning with 62-. You can Google that part number to locate a replacement board and this will solve your problem.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

is there a harm if I just let this darn fan on? or should I look into replacing soon? Is it easy to replace by myself? Any recommendations on where can I order this part from or pick up (ideally?)?Just want to make sure that attached picture is what need to be replaced. THanks for your help!

Yes that is the culprit.It wlll not hurt anything to leave as it is other than when furnace cycles, it will blow cool air

Let me see what I can find on a replacement

appreciate it. I cant find any part # that starts with 62. :(
Serial EB5D307F439608873

Thanks. Be right with you

Last question - would you suggest that I attempt to replace by myself? I was able to replace thermostat and install Ecobee easily if that tells you about my comfort.

You absolutely can replace yourself. My suggestion is to remove the plastic clips holding board in place, lift it up and put new board in place without removing any wires.Then replace one wire at a time so as not to get anything crossed up.

Would you approve me buying this for replacement? https://www.amazon.com/62-24268-01-Rheem-Replacement-Furnace-Control/dp/B003U4MGBY
you are a wonderful help! i appreciate it. I almost ordered safety fan relay switch before contacting you as it thought it was culprit.

Absolutely,That is actually an oem replacement.Your current board is replacement board, not oem.That is why you could not find the 62- part number it is a heaper board (Probably an ICM board)

B the way these are the relays I was referring to that one is sticking.

That is why I like to ask questions and do a bit of troubleshooting before just telling you to change parts.If the limit switch were casing fan to stay on, heat would not work properly and we would get a flash code on the board

Awesome. thanks I will go ahead and order Amazon and will let you know if that worked!

Sounds great.We are here to help. You can return to question for up to 30 days after rating to follow up at no additional fee.

Btw - I am so sorry. Happy to pay you more but looks like the part on Amazon isnt compatible. See attached picture. In current board, i have a 12 pins socket and I dont see that from picture on Amazon. Do we have wrong part #?

Hmm this is the correct board for the furnace based on model and serial as you can see in the links I sent.AS I mentioned, the current board does not appear to be original. Look and see if maybe there is an adapter from the 8 pin on current board that mat connect to the original 12 pin

as you can see in adapter of 12 pin - 3 of them are empty... that tells me that part is right but then i need to order 9 pin adapter and how do I insert? Which cables goes in which pins? heavens are busy raging against me.

Hmm, All of my resources are showing the 9 pin bard. There is no adapeter ther where they converted before huh?

no.. straight into 12 pins adapter with 3 holes ( pins) empty as I sent you in pic.

Give me a few minutes to see what I can find out

I am thinking some things have been changed on the furnace from original factory oem. Let me ask this.Has the furnace been doing fine and operating properly with this board until the issue with fan not shutting down?

to be honest with you, this issue has persisted over 2 years since we moved into this house.

Since we are not sure what may have been changed, I think I would go back with the board that is currently there. Looks like they have used the universal S9200U1000,

It is actually a little cheaper too,

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-S9200U1000-Universal-Ignition-Integrated/dp/B003CVV4W2

That is if you remember a time when this board worked properly and fan cycled correctly.

since i dont ever remember having fan turned off since we bought this house, the board that you are suggesting may not work?
you are spot on. that is the currently installed board.

Wow. I hate to have you order a board and it still not work.If that board never allowed fan to shut down a new one like it would not either. THis is the problem with trying to troubleshoot expecting things are original. Lets take a look at a couple of things.

Do you see some dip switches that are changeable from off to on on the board?

I cant locate dip switches. still looking.

I am beginning your best bet may be to locate a local Rheem dealer and pay the price to get the proper board and wired properly rather than buying a new board not knowing what has been changed. You can find a local Rheem dealer by entering your zip at this link.

http://www.rheem.com/contractors.aspx?PostalCode=30303&Distance=25&HeatingAndCooling=1&ResidentialWaterHeaters=1&CommercialWaterHeaters=1&TanklessWaterHeaters=1&SolarWaterHeaters=1&HomeGenerators=1&PoolAndSpaWaterHeaters=1

Just to see if it makes a difference set the S1 switches as follows

SW1: ON SW2: OFF SW3 & SW4: 60

And on the S2 switches make sure both are ON

I cant tell which switches are on and off and certainly cant tell about setting them to 60

I dont think it will make a difference .They are just time delays, but fan is not cutting off at all.

The person who installed this board no doubt moved the wires from the 9 pin harness of rather than use the adapter.

You might be cheaper in long run to get a Rheem dealer to straighten out and correct

awesome.. thanks for your help! you are a trooper. have a good night.

Well we know the reason fan does not cut off is because of wrong board or bad board.Glad you noticed that 12 pin though as the adapter would not come with an oem board

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician