BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

In MD. I have a brand new Goodman gas furnace in my total

Customer Question

Hello I'm Joe in MD. I have a brand new Goodman gas furnace in my total remodel. Short story is it will not keep blowing warm air. I look in the sightglass and see two nozzles with blue flames but only for a couple seconds and goes out and hear a click. Have had the installers check it twice and works for a few minutes and they leave. Is under warranty but hesitant to call them again because dont think they know much. They cant even tell me where a filter is, just so I know and the owners manual is not much help. This furnace is new and should work well. If you reply maybe I can have a better idea for a solution. Thanks.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: First thing I did was check thermm, even replaced the batts. As for filter, I dont know where it is. Is not obvious like other furnaces i've seen. And the contractor does' nt seem to know.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: May have to because hesitant have the experts come back but dont want to alter the warranty. This unit is horizontal in my attic.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The first time I turned it on last weekthe fan came on but when time to hear the whoosh and heal it shut off and I saw 3 blinking red LED s in sightglass. Dont see blinking lights now just solid red light.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 8 months ago.

My name is Billy.

Quite often the filters for an attic unit are behind a ceiling or wall grill. Usually is about 20"x20" with a hinged side allowing to be opened.

Being a remodel, and if filter has not been changed you are likely running on "limit" and then shutting down...cooling and starting over.

Can you check the ceilings or walls and/or post pics of the installation?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Billy.The owners manual notes a new furnace is shipped without filters installed, so I am assuming the HVAC contractor did not install any since they cant tell me where they are.The main return is in the ceiling in the hall. Looking up at it just see thè grate and first part of hose. Other furnaces I've seen have the filter behind an access panel or a 'v' shape. Can something like no just no filter cause it to be on 'limit' and not work?

If you have air conditioning or a 90% furnace..yes this can cause overheat. The ac coil becomes a catch spot for all the dust, debris, drywall dust etc.

Generally I would see at minimum a filter in the large ceiling grill