HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have the icomfort thermostat, i just raised the temp

Customer Question

I have the icomfort thermostat, i just raised the temp watched it work, now the screen is blank with no heat
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: how can i check the settings with a blank screen?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: the night before thanksgiving, i don't think i have a choice
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: ii have no experience in Hvac
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

What likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this is way above my skill level. please refund my money, I will find a motel tonight and get out of the cold.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, don't call, i dont own a voltage meter I dont know what a fuse looks like, I can't find a reset button. I did pull it away from the wall to reset it,, but that didn't work. please refund me. I can't do this.