HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

2002 Ruud Acheiver 90 Plus starts cycle to fire and 2 sec

Customer Question
after lite goes out then...
2002 Ruud Acheiver 90 Plus starts cycle to fire and 2 sec after lite goes out then after three cycles no lite first green light next to yellow light binks steady one time
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

Is this the hot surface glow ignition model?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no electronic spark model UGRA-07EMAES

just a moment while I pull the specs

thank you for waiting.

At this point have you cleaned the flame sense rod yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was clean no build up at all

but you did steel wool it?..the glaze is clear not visible as build up

and if so...is the flame reaching the sensor within 3 seconds and actually engulfing the sensor?..or is not reaching the rod in time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will steel wool it now and let you know in 10 min.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did it and same cycle, blower turns on, seconds later clicks of ingniter, flame ingites all four tubes and last tube has sensor thatis in middle of flame then out a sec after fourth tube ignites.What does green lite blinking steady one time?

what does the yellow light do when flame ignites?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am watching the flame not the yellow lite. I will watch now. It has yrllow lite and two green to the right of it. the middle or first green lite blinks if I let it cycle three times, the last two cycles no fire though.

see chart regarding lights HERE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nothing happens when i click on lights HERE. This time the idnition only made it to the second tube before turning off?
Should I relocte the tube to the first or second tube?

is this natural gas or propane?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
natural gas and the link did work.

Ok I will try again....basically the yellow light reacts to if it sense flame. If the light is a solid yellow it reads good flame...if dim or flicker it reads poor. Obviously if no flame makes it across the flame light will not light. The green blinking is a soft lockout for failed ignition.

Are the burners rusty?

Have you swapped and/or cleaned?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Burners are clean, no rust and I only blew it out after it would not start.
This furnace was inspected before I purchased the house and was not turned on till now from the inspection in June.

Has the gas utility had pressure checked since you purchased?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, I have two houses on the property the main house is fine.

you have few choices...

If the gas is not crossing the burners:

Burner crossover channels are not clean

The gas pressure is too low

This is not possible just from gas supply but the regulator in gas valve also.

Can you post a pic of the gas valve using the attach files link?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is a photo, clicking link to Add files, nothing happens

Sorry about the glitches...what is the make model of the valve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
R602, and on handle US 4,714,236 and it is blue on a 3/4 "line
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tried again and all four lite this time

the valve I need is the big blocky item the gas pipe goes into before it goes to burners

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Honeywell VR8205h 8016, REG 3.5 ADJ 3-5 range,24V 60 Hz

I hope this works....is this similar to your valve

Click Here

Thank you...

See HERE

remove the screw cover and under you will see a white plastic regular screwdriver fitting. Keep count of the rotations and turn clockwise 2 full turns. Try furnace again....just keep track of rotations so we know our start point.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is black and 1/2 turn clock wise stopped, backed off and felt like 1 revolution stopped

ok turn clockwise to bottom out.

Then try. It is normal to have 6 full turns adjustment range on these.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Seemed to have more pressure during flame but same all four are lite a second later it went out. This time seemed to slowly go out where before was quicker

Ok, it is now time to check flame rod micoramps and furnace ground.

could be a ground issue

bad ignition control

poor connection of flame sensor

Do you have a meter capable of reading microamps?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not here, can we resume tomorrow afternoon?

sure, just wait to respond until ready.

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have digital multimeter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When can you return to help me?

ok, now to check microamps..

set meter to Ua.....unplug sensor wire from board and insert meter lead into the wire end connector...put other meter lead to terminal where sensor plugged into.

you can measure briefly the flame sense reading during 3 seconds of operation...and if needed holding a flame, lighter etc on the sensor and taking reading.

See Here for tips

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No Ua area on my Harbor freight Multimeter. Used the V mA 200u selection and with a lighter on the sensor got spuatic numbers from 30 to 154 and 198 and 3. Jumped all over during ingnition. Could try again using the 2000 selection if needed.

that should suffice for now.

Do you get any ac volt reading at all if you measure neutral to ground?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tips link does not work
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is nuetral to ground? If you mean befoire I cycle the furnace the meter reads 0, 1 or -1.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer