Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

My plus 80 heater no longer blows hot air just started

Customer Question

my bryant plus 80 heater no longer blows hot air just started today
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: doing tht may need a new filter
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if we can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: there is supposed to be a reset button
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 11 months ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! There should be an inspection window where a blinking led should be seen. Can your see if it's blinking a code? Also, can I have the exact model number of your furnace please? It should be on a data plate (sticker) either on the outside of your furnace or behind the blower panel when you remove it. Note when you remove the blower panel you will reset the code so check that first!

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have a bryant plus 80. it is up in the attic crawl space and hard to get to. we are going to let it wait for three hours.
I am unable see any reset buttons, and guess i remove to front panels to get to anything.
the furnace is mounted on its side.

I understand. If you can find the circuit breaker for your furnace in your main panel, turning it off for a minute or so and back on, should reset any safeties that are not of the manual reset type (flame roll-out safety for example). You should check your air filter to make sure it's clean as that can set a high temperature limit fault if it's dirty. Short of that, that's about all you can do without looking into the furnace itself.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
could not see a code, but i had already unplugged and plugged this back inwill try waiting a bit longer

Very good then. I'll be here if I can help further.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. So the furnace is a Bryant 376CAV. Pretty sure the code that I am getting it the ignition lockout code.

Thanks for that model and code info. Give me a moment to retrieve the service manual and I'll offer further help.

Ok so I assume you either have a 14 or 34 blink code for ignition fault. There are a many things that can cause this, the most common being your hot surface ignitor has failed or the flame sensing rod has carbon build up and needs to be cleaned. Other causes can be a really rusty/dirty burner assembly or a bad ground wire/connection somewhere in the furnace. More rare causes are a failed gas valve or plugged burner orifices. Usually a very thorough cleaning and replacement of the HSI takes care of this issue. For a homeowner with limited knowledge, the best thing to try if you're up for it is to clean the flame rod with a Scotchbrite pad. The flame rod is located in front of the last burner nozzle/venturi and is just a steel rod with a porcelain insulator and a wire attached going to the control board. That does the trick many times.

Let me know if you have questions about this.

-Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am giving up on this. Do I still get charged? I saw something somewhere about a seven day trial. This service is not something that suits me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do not want a call. I am just going to call a repair guy Monday.

I'm sorry you feel that way. If you tell me what you want specifically, perhaps I can help. What type of help were you looking for? I gave you real world model specific answers to the problem you're experiencing. I'm a real world trade technician and these are the things I would look at if I were on site. Gas furnaces are not simple appliances by any means.