HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a rheem classic 90 upflow. Will not ignite. Cycles

Customer Question
then shuts down . Fault...
I have a rheem classic 90 upflow. Will not ignite. Cycles then shuts down . Fault code indicates ignition failure
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Hasn't run this season yet
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Checked vent. And is clear pressure switches seem to work. Changed out control board
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
11/14/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

I need the actual model number for your unit. It's on the rating tag which is usually inside the burner compartment.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rgra-07emaes

About how old is this unit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure10-12 years

There is no ignition failure code on a 10 to 12 year old unit. What are the LED's doing? do you have HSI (hot surface ignition) or a sprak igniter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Spark igniter. I get 1 blink which on th door unit says 1 hour lockout
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
New control board says 1 blink is ignition failure

Ok, does it generate an arc after the inducer fan gets going?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. put new one in and still no spark

You have a new board and new igniter and no arc?!

HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, if you can take an exceedingly well focused close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower service panel and attach it here using the 'attach files' link to the left of your send button I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

THat worked well, thanks, ***** ***** half an hour or so to mark it up for you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
10-4 thanks

Hello again, while you are waiting, tell me please in gruesome detail exactly how you checked the two pressure switches... if you used jumpers those would need to be placed **after* the inducer fan was running for 2 to 5 seconds, not prior to the inducer fan running.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked first with ohm meter across each switch to make sure they would pull in. I then jumperd after the fan started running
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can here the gas valve click and verified 24v. The unit cycles the main blower comes on but never ignites. I pulled the igniter and let it hang so I would be able to see spark. But nothing happens.

Hello, turn off power to the unit and unplug then replug each of the gang connectors two or three times, inspect for loose or corroded pins... replug all connections to the printed circuit board...

Clean the spark ignition rod and its ground with plumbers sand cloth and re-gap if its the original to 3/16"

we can go from there

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll update you tomorrow I've been at this for 14 hours and need to get some sleep

THat will work, I get in at 8 am west coast time and am in until 9 pm

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning. Did all you said. got ignition once after a few tries. now as soon as I hear igniter unit shuts down

Thanks, ***** ***** facts it looks like a bad pin connection in one of the gang connectors failing after a few minutes run time, not easy to diagnose, but lets work in that direction, If it were a component problem you would not have been able to get it to fire at all.

Examine each pin socket, use a needle to mash the sockets a bit tighter

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer