Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Gaztech
92290868

My thermostat just showed 2 dashes where the temperature is

Customer Question

My thermostat just showed 2 dashes where the temperature is normally located. The control panel is probably 14 years old and I cannot find any info on it. I am not sure where the model number is ***** I believe it is tstatccnac01-b, but nothing comes up when I search for it. Also it appears the temperature sensor is broken. Could this be the reason the unit will not turn on?
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: Not sure, I am starting with the thermostat. If that is not the problem then I will assume it is the furnace.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I am capable of switching out a thermostat control then I would do that myself. If it's the furnace then I would definitely call a proffessional.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's everything I can see. I just know that it is not showing a temperature, and when I opened it up I noticed the wire was broken off on the temperature sensor.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 9 months ago.

Fix wire, and if it doesnt work your t-stat is defective, 50$ ......replace t-stat

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can buy any carrier thermostat?
Expert:  Gaztech replied 9 months ago.

Does not need to be a Carrier t-stat, it could be a Honeywell, or emerson... as long as it supports the system that you have.

Here is a link for a t-stat you can use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-Deluxe-Digital-Non-Programmable-Heat-Cool-Thermostat-RTHL3550/206150148