Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have installed a new 5/2 RTH2300B programmable,

Customer Question

I have installed a new 5/2 RTH2300B programmable
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: thermostat. All the display and programs seem to work fine however it is not turning the gas furnace or fan on at all. I have new batteries and have it in the fan mode for gas furnace. When I take the new on off and put the old honeywell non programmable back on it works fine, so I know that I have the right voltage and a working system. What else can I try.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?
Customer: the wiring is a simple 4 color red,white, g
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: green and yellow. Pilot light is working
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i know off, seem pretty simple
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 10 months ago.

Lets eliminate or pinpoint issue being in thermostat. Remove R and W wires and touch tem together and tell me if heat comes on.

Next verify if you put R to R or RC and if you left jumper in place

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Heat and does not come on touching R and RC jumper is in place

Did you touch R and W?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did

OK did heat come on touching R and W?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No

OK issue is not with thermostat. Go to furnace and see if we have an error light flashing on board , If not touch R and W on furnace board and see if heat comes on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If it is not with the thermastat why can hook up the old honeywell non programmable themastat and it works fine

Not sure, but jumping R and W bypasses thermostat taking it out of the picture

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
could it be a programming issue with the programmable thermostat that is not allowing furnace to kick on. Deductively if the old on works fine, I know the voltage is there and that the furnace system is working fine.....Right

If connecting R to W (actual wires from furnace) does not bring heat on there is an issue with furnace or wiring. The thermostat is just like a light switch.R is hot from furnace. On call for heat the contact closes and sends that hot leg back to furnace. Jumping R and W takes the thermostat out of the picture.Go to furnace and see if there is an error code flashing on board,If not jump R and W on furnace board and tell me if furnace comes on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a green flashing light on the board and a solid ***** *****ght. I have no idea what they mean. There are many many wires, I would not know where to begin. Still does not make sense that the furnace is the problem as the old thermostat activates it just fine. Could I possibly have it wired wrong or programmed wrong

Your problem is not with thermostat That green light is telling us there is a problem with furnace such as an open limit.I believe if you connect old thermostat right now it will not work.Do you want to try before we troubleshoot furnace?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
old one hooked up and working just fine

That makes absolutely no since.The thermostat closes circuit between R and W to make heater come on. You must not have been connecting them good.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I agree make no sense, but it is true. I just touched the wires together and held them. Is that sufficient?

Loosen one screw and stick both wires under one screw and tighten. I am going look at thermostat manual again while you do this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
stick the R in the same hole as the W...correct...and what should that do

THat should bring heat on

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok I will try that

Then lets look at setting on new thermostat.

Lets look at the thermostat menu and just make sure nothing got changed.

Enter setup menu by pressing and holding UP and DOWN arrows simultaneously until display changes.,

Then make sure Function 5 is set for 5

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Bingo, furnace came on with R and W in the W hole
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok 5 is on 5

Was 5 already on 5?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was on 6

Lets put new thermostat back and try one more time. I am stepping away for about 10 minutes but will be right back

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
furnace is now operating

WEll glad we were able to get it working.Strange why it would not come on jumping R and W, just maybe not a good enough connection. So are we all done?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
well in shut down. i really feel like it is programming. above the temp reading it is lit up "temporary". I don't see anything in the instruction manual on that. either way I should be able to manual overide by hitting the set button and adjusting temp.....right?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it says heat on, but no furnace, should i just leave the R and W in the same hole permanently

My bad. No you need to move them back to R and W respectively

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no long term damage by doing that?

Not at all, nothing but a bypass. Is everything working properly now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't seem to be able to shut it off now. I have the W in the coupled R/RC hole. even when I turn it to off mode it will not go off

Separate the wires back. Place the white in W and Red in R... You still have thermostat bypassed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the only time the unit comes on is when the R and W is in the same hole. At that point though furnace is not responsive to commands from thermostat because of the by pass. When I switch it back to R in R and W in W it will not come one

Wow. I am starting to think maybe you got a DOA thermostat. I would take it back, tell them you had a licensed hvac guy help install and it would not work.