HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Replaced the ignitor and the heater still does not come on.

Customer Question
I can still hear the...
Replaced the ignitor and the heater still does not come on. I can still hear the inductor motor spinning throughout the house and my unit is in the crawl space under the house. It spins until it automatically turns off. The ignitor does not turn red. I do not smell gas either. What could this be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 2 days by:
11/14/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is***** see your question stumped the panel here.

I just logged on and saw you had not received an answer yet.

I am willing to help you if you still need assistance. Just let me know how the project is going and I can help you or close this question for you.

Once again I apologize for the delay.

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Billy. I think I may have narrowed this down to the draft inductor but not sure. I don't have a multimeter.

can you tell if the exhaust fan motor is running?

What happens is the exhaust is supposed to start first

Then the air it creates closes a small air switch...this switch must close before anything else happens.

The first item to check is if the exhaust fan is running or not...and if not is it warm/hot?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the exhaust fan does run.

thank you...is the furnace exhaust vented in a metal pipe to a chimney or out the side of the house in pvc pipe?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's going out metal piping out the side of the house

Are you familiar with the pressure switch?...and if not supply a model number so I can supply pic

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm familiar with it

pull the rubber tube and check for cracks..trim if necessary. Use a paperclip or small nail and poke the tube fitting on furnace clear all the way through. Make sure nothing in chimney pipe....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Give me Few minutes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. So I did all of that. When I turn power on, only the exhaust fan comes on

ok,

does your pressure switch have 2 wires attached?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yep.

do this exactly..

power off

remove the 2 wires from pressure switch and hold apart

power on

AFTER the exhaust fan starts running..touch and hold the 2 wires together metal to metal.

Tell me if it tries to ignite

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it doesnt

then you have an open safety or board issue. What is the model number

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
UGPH-10EAMER

and is there a code blinking on the circuit board?

see page 32 HERE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The lights are steady on

then either the board is bad

the exhaust is not running

or it is operating.

The steady lights mean normal and the yellow light solid means flame present

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Even though the exhaust fan turns could the exhaust motor still be bad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's is very loud when it turns
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last year it worked but ran louder than ever
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer