Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We had a similar problem with the carrier comfort zone

Customer Question

We had a similar problem with the carrier comfort zone flashing E3. I saw you answer that it was the outdoor air sensor. Our local guys (not the best) first tried to replace the thermostat and when that didn't work announced, it was a short.. Could the outdoor air sensor still be the real problem.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Filters are OK. Tell me about the settings as now the are just set for heat as the guys took out the thermostat and put it back it. So now I can't check what problem that might have been.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No. But the guys left as it was getting dark and will be back. I am just not sure of it being a short as they had no clue that it might be the air sensor until I looked up E3 on the web and found your answer. I am the one who told them I didn't believe it was the thermostat. If I can't be sure about them, I want to discuss what is to be done with their boss prior to them working on it again.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Could a outdoor air sensor failure appear to be a short ?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.

Hello, you can unplug the outdoor air sensor and use an ohm meter to check it for a short or 'open' circuit.

Let me know how that goes, we can go from there.