HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Nordyne furnace pressure switch open with inducer on is the

code and I have changed...
nordyne furnace pressure switch open with inducer on is the code and I have changed out the switch and still the same code
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: no but they were changed recently
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: fan motors starts but there is no iginition or glow plug lighing up that I can see
11/6/2016
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Thre are several thing that can keep the switch from closing, they are: a blocked or partially blocked exhaust vent, a weak draft fan, a clogged port where the other end of the tubing connected to the switch is attached to the furnace. You don't give me a model number so I don't know if this is a condensing furnace but if it is a clogged exhaust condensate drain can also keep the switch from closing

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rick
the unit is a Nordyne and the Model Number is ***** 6RC 100C-16B I have cleared the intake and exhaust vents as it is a 90% furnace. I have switch out the pressure switch with a replacement from Nordyne and nothing changed. I am a licensed general contractor but don't really know too much about HVAC I guess I know enough to be dangerous. All that happens is that the fan motor starts like it going to turn on the blower but just never does and I get the flashing signals on the mother board don't really know what else to do

Did you check the condensate drain? If it's clear then then you need to check where the vac tubing on the switch connects to the furnace. You can poke a paper clip into the ports (not into the switch). Beyond that you'd need a maometer to check the draft pressure to determne if the fan is doing it's job or not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cleared the drain already and tried to did the paperclip thing to no avail is there a lockout mechanism on this board and is there a way to reset it?

You reset by powering the unit down waiting a couple minutes then power it back up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can bleed the gas lines to make sure gas is coming in properly I really dont' think its getting gas to the unit. I usually turn my gas off over the summer cause we have electric heat but this year I didn't and when I turned on the unit for the first time it came on for like 5 minutes and then this problem started. Is there a valve or something on the unit to make sure gas is actually flowing to the unit? And if its not getting gas to the unit could that cause the error code I am getting. Just trying to think of all options before I spend 200 on a meter

If gas supply was an issue you'd get a different error (failed ignition). Your unit hasn't made it far enough into the sequence to ignite. You might want to call in a pro instead of dropping all that money on a manometer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I'm at the point where I have to defeat this issue LOL so I get the meter and it tells me not enough pressure is somewhere what is the next step? I actually want to learn how these things work so that is why I want to figure this out

If you're sure the vent/intake is clear then a poor draft reading would indicate something is in the fan itself or you need a new fan.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fan does kick and it doesn't sound any different than it use to and I'm sure I cut the intake line and cleared it because it did have a wasp net on the pipe going to the outside. I can't get into the box that holds that line to see if there is something else in there as the panel won't come off. The box is at the top of the unit and has a clear glass circle in it but I really can't see in even with a light. I removed the black 2 inch hose from the fan as it was clean with no debris. So I know I'm close and I dont' think a new fan is going to solve the problem. But what Do I know that's why I'm talking with you

Just to test try disconneting the exhaust and intake pipes from the furnace and restart it. If the unit advances beyond the pressure switch error (igniter initializes) then you need to dig deeper into the exhaust/intake pipong. You can try a shop vac to suck out the piping.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do later on tonight when I get home from work and get back with you

Ok, disconnect them 1 at a time then both if needed. Start with the intake

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Intake is already disconnected and I know that line is clear I was going to remove the hose again from the fan and shove the shop vac up there and see if there is any blockage

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
RIck I will be getting back to this tonight been busy with work and its been in the 70's the past few days here but I want to get this fixed asap

I'm online until about 7 pm EST. I'll respond as soon as I can

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok Rick so I have isolated the problem I do believe, when I was doing my initial check of the vents and everything I found a yellow jacket nest in the intake vent, and when I took off the vent tub to the intact I found a honey comb in there so its safe to say they have covered up or nested in something important in the top box of the furnace Ive taken off all the screws on the front but the cover does not want to budge there are two more screws at the bottom but i wanted to confirm with you that this part of the unit is accessible attached is a picture of the box with the glass on it at the top of the unit. Ok well it won't let me attach a picture anyway I do believe this will solve the problem if I can get that nesting cleared Ive already tried to vacuum it out and got a little but I those things are pretty strong so can I access this area of the unit?

If you're referring to the box the exhaust fan or intake is attached to then yes it can be removed but the gasket behind it and the gasket on the fan housing must be tight when you put it back together to avoid exhaust leaks.
I'd appreciate a favorable rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got it off looks pretty clean in there and still tripping the same code so now what? Nanometer?

If you're sure the exhaust and intake are clear along their entire length then next step would be to replace the pressure switch (assuming you're sure its tubing is open/OK). We would put a manometer on the exhaust but they are pretty pricey so if you don't have one a new pressure switch would be a lot cheaper.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I did buy a new switch but took it off and put the other one back on because I thought that was not the problem I will put on the new one and blow all lines clear and see what happens

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
GOT HEAT cleared a T and the line to the burners and that did the trick
Thanks RIck I will leave a positive feedback

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor