HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Trane Heat Pump ac compressor kicks in for about 3 minutes

Customer Question
Trane Heat Pump ac...
Trane Heat Pump ac compressor kicks in for about 3 minutes then stops. System in in heat mode. Fault code states "soft lock out" on both the compressor and condenser.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Correction..."soft lock out" on compressor only. Fault code on air handler states "valve is not responding to change over". Filter is clean. Thermostat set to call for heat. Set to 80 degrees.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it's simple enough
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Was told that could possibly be a break in thermostat wire inside the wall
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
11/6/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Does heat pump work fine in cool mode?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Placed in cool mode seems to work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would prefer answers in text mode

OK it sounds like you have a sticking txv, metering device in the outdoor unit.

That means we are getting a restriction in heat mode because refrigerant cannot flow through and unit is shutting off on high head pressure.

If the issue were a broken wire or the solenoid on reversing valve was not switching, unit would still run, just blow cold air as if it were in cool mode.

This is going to require an onsite tech to replace unless you have a vacuum pump, recovery machine, refrigerant gauges and a welding rig.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician