HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My furnace won't stay on, I've replaced the flame roll out

Customer Question
switch and the pressure switch JA...
my furnace won't stay on, I've replaced the flame roll out switch and the pressure switch
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: It was fine at the end of last winter Yes the filter was changed before I switched it to heat
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yep
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I get flame, but the blower won't kick on Is it possible that a really good cleaning is in order
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
10/30/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

if you get flame..but blower does not kick on means either a bad blower or a bad circuit board..of course depends on make/model/age.

What is the unit and how old?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a Goodman GPG-10, and I bought it 9/2004
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I reset the roll out switch it will work one time and then It won't work again until I manually reset the switch

if you turn the thermostat switch labeled FAN to ON instead of AUTO does the blower kick on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't done that yet. I'll do that now

OK if the roll out is tripping then you need to call for a heat exchanger inspection.

There a re 3 things that trip this switch..

A hole or crack in the exchanger - bad

Plugged exchanger - bad

Bad switch - good.

Is there black residue in any of the burner tubes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the blower came on

A hole or crack in the exchanger - bad

Plugged exchanger - bad

Bad switch - good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check that real quick
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't see any black residue on or in the burners

usually there is more than one roll out...do you have 2 - 3 on the unit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure, I've only replace the one on the burners. I'll look in the Manuel

ok so you have already replace the roll out that keeps tripping?

ok,

then the odds are 99% that you have a bad heat exchanger.

this means there is a hole, crack seam, plug...something has ruined that one cell.

I am very sorry but you will need to call a Goodman dealer and have the exchanger inspected.

This is also a very dangerous situation as this is what can cause carbon monoxide to mix in the home air...or even catch the unit on fire.

Please call and have the exchanger checked and do not reset the rollout any longer.

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be possible that the Secondary Limit Control which is on the blower housing be bad?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay

no, that would be an overheat trip. If the roll out keeps tripping it means a heat exchanger defect.

Sorry

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, thanks

Just rate service to close this question and I really wish you the best on this repair. Just return to ypopur account here to keep me informed.

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech