HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My thermostat is blank and I can't get it to do anything.

Customer Question
hi, my thermostat is blank...
hi, my thermostat is blank and I can't get it to do anything. what do I do
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I think just the thermostat
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
10/30/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

Before we get too far do you mind a test at the thermostat?

It involves removing the top section and locating 2 wires...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which wires do I look for and then what is the next step

we want to find the green wire and the red wire...Terminals R (may say R,Rh,Rc) and G

Use a paperclip or short wire shaped in a U...hold one wire on R and other on G

Tell me if the blower starts

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see red, green and white wires but I don't understand the next step

ok,

do you have a gas furnace and ac, furnace only, boiler, or heat pump and I will clarify

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure, new house built in 2013. Unit sits outside the house

ok, do you have registers that blow air out or radiators on the walls

and is there an air filter you change?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Air blows out registers and I change filters in the attic

ok,

so lets change how we do it.....remove the red wire and green wire,,,and twist together..

tell me if blower starts

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing happened

ok this means it is not the thermostat.

This means it will involve getting to the unit for further testing.

How do you feel about this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any chance I could fix the problem or should I call for service?

Its hard to tell. This means the furnace is not sending thermostat power to the thermostat.

Could be:

No power to furnace

bad transformer

blown fuse on circuit board

safety tripped

I am really sorry but it is hard to answer without phyically going to the unit and testing for power.

If you do not have a volt meter and comfort level to test electricity I would call for service.

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank you. I checked the electrical box in the garage and nothing tripped there so I will call for service. Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome and I really wish you the best.

If you have any other questions let me know as you have 30 day follow up after you rate service today.

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech