BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Lennox CBX32MV with ECB40 giving me a .E201 code.

Customer Question

I have a Lennox CBX32MV with ECB40 giving me a .E201 code. What does the unit think is going on?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Replaced the filter. Thermostat seems to be working. Honeywell TH8320U
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Ues
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

This is a code saying the board has lost communication with the variable speed motor.

Instead of "talking" back and forth they no longer exchange data. Meaning ramp up/down, static pressure etc.

The motor is designed to run at different speeds depending on conditions...this is usually on the blower side with the module on rear of the motor...HOWEVER...to be 100% sure you would need an ecm motor tester to confirm

Billy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need an ecm motor tester? Explain what the process is and I will try my best to figure out how to do this. I can disconnect the blower with motor (also disconnect the two electrical connectors to motor) and take it to someone with an ecm tester? What does "ecm" stand for?

ECM = electronically commutated motor.

It has 115v constant power..but a varying signal of 24v is what determines speed.

An ecm motor tester is designed to hook to the motor and then control the motor from the tester.

A Lennox Dealer will have this tester....most are in the $500 range if you wish to buy one yourself.

here is a manual that may help you...I would share more but it gets pretty involved...it is hard to take what is taught in an entire semester and translate in this forum.

Manual HERE

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can't I pull the fan motor assembly out and take it to a Lennox Dealer for him to test the motor at the Lennox Dealer. I understand I have no training. What is the likely hood the 3-year old blower motor needs replacement?

unfortunately these motors are very susceptible to power issues...brownouts, surges, spikes...and sometimes just a bad feedback.

If only 3 years old I would call a Lennox dealer as the motor should be under warranty.

Most have a minimum of 5 years parts..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, there are 58 pages. Could be the rear module that attaches to motor, it could be the motor, it could booth.

The motor is only windings and bearings with magnets.....the part that goes bad 95% of the time is the module

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, Could I take my 3-year old receipt, the motor removed from the blower to the Lennox Dealer tomorrow and hope for a diagnosis at the Dealer and a new Module to attach to the back of my motor which I could reinstall with a 95% chance of success within 24 hours?

This will depend the dealer, but generally yes.

This is a basic part in stock now....

And they should be able to bench test but will depend on shop manpower available.

I would call first to arrange. I know I have all qualified guys that could test on the service trucks...so you may want to schedule

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I will call them, tell them I am having an error code "E201," tell them I have the motor in my hand and suspect the Module is bad, and can I bring the 3-year old motor in to the Dealer tomorrow for confirmation it is the Module, then (if Module is bad) leave the Dealer with a new Module tomorrow?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you typing?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this a good plan?

Yes that is exactly what I do...

sorry, I am better with furnaces than computers...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much. This was worth the $5.

excellent...just rate service at top of page to close for now. 30 day follow up after service is rated. I wish you the best

Billy