HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

You helped me last night and the heat quickly worked great

Customer Question
Hi again! You helped me...
Hi again! You helped me last night and the heat quickly worked great throughout the night! Came home this afternoon and itsdoing the same thing.. cycling on and off..I am so frustrated., I'm a first time homeowner.. ( have only been here two months) and have never had to encounter issues like this before..
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
10/27/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

was this were you cleaned the sensor rod with steel wool?

if so.....this time you would need to use a vacuum attachment and clean out the burners and tap them sharply to get any rust out....sounds like the issue is flame getting to the rod in time...

I am going offline but will be back online in aprox 30 minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.. I will clean and see what it does from there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did what you said.. and same thing..did I do something wrong? Did I put the sensor rod back in wrong? It worked fine up until this afternoon??

DO YOU GET FLAME FOR 3 SECONDS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't see much but I do t think I got any flame

during the ignitor glow...watch and see if flame lights all across..it must hit that metal rod in 3 seconds

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The metal rod that I cleaned? Correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I put the metal rod back in.. it's shaped like an L.. it goes towards the left.. but the burners are at the right? Did I reinstall correctly?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see no glow at all., fan runs for about 20 seconds.. then shuts off

ok put rod so it is in front of the burner...

do you still get the same code with light blinking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same code yes. And there are 3 burners from what I can tell and the rod is in front of it

was the last couple days the first time furnace has run this season?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
before that I don't know because I just bought the house 2. Months ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It worked fine after I cleaned the sensor last night like you said. And now nothing

ok....do you know what the gas valve is?...the gas pipe comes into the side of the furnace and then goes into a blocky looking gas valve and then pipe comes out other side and goes to burner...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think. There is an on/ off switch on it?

correct...hold your hand on that...start furnace...then tell me if you feel that valve click within 60 seconds

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It clicked twice as soon as I turned it on

I see you said it was 3 blinks now?

So the exhaust fan starts....then stops after 20-30 seconds?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was 3 blinks last night too

do you still have the pics available so I can point out some other items for you?

ok,

the vent pipe that carries the exhaust outside...is it plastic pipe out the side of the house?

do you have a shop vacuum?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would guess its plastic ..but its dark and rainy and windy out side at the moment .. when I locate it tmrw.. what should or could I do to get this working again?

if you have time I want to do another test first...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I let this go tonight, can I recontavt you tmrw after I get off work?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have time right now.

ok see this pic

remove the 2 wires...

get a small nail that fits into the little connector on the end of the wire.

Hold the 2 wires apart

start furnace

as soon as the exhaust fan starts connect the 2 wires by sticking the ends of the nail, staple or paperclip into the ends of the wires thus connecting them.

We do this AFTER the exhaust starts.

Tell me what happens after this test

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok gimme a sec

standing by....you are certainly getting heating 101 the last couple days..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right?! Lol.. maybe I should change jobs
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Omg!! It's on!!

ok take wires apart and I will bring you up to speed..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it bad??

This means there is:

Air restriction in the vent pipe..nest, toy etc..

Drain line from furnace plugged. You will see a drain come out of the furnace and go to a drain or pump..

Use the shop vacuum to clear the plastic pipe...and to suck the drain line clear.

The air circulates through the furnace when that fan kicks on...anything that impedes the flow affects the pressure switch, burners etc.

So now we know the flame sensor is clean...now we clean out the vent pipe and drain...

This is good news...just a pain..

Billy

sounds like the furnace sat dormant for a while....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do., vent pipe outside., .. the pipe that drains in the floor.. use a shop vac on those tmrw? And it did sit dormant.. it was a warm winter here last year.. so probably didn't use it much., but do you think after those things I do it MAY be ok?

yes...these are basic things that happen when a furnace sits for extended periods unused....especially the vent pipe being obstructed as it is a perfect spot for bird or rodent nest....they leave when the furnace starts but the nest remains..

I am confident once you have these things cleared you will be ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.. I will do this tmrw after work! Can I leave this open tho in case I have any more questions?

certainly....just do not respond to this message...or the system forces a response from me...just hold this until tomorrow after you find out how it goes...

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech