Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My oil furnace was working and then the light flickered

Customer Question

My oil furnace was working and then the light flickered several times before going out for about 12 hours. When they came back on, they flickered a couple more times before staying on. When I went to turn the furnace on again, it sounded like it kicked on for just a minute and then shut down and won't come back on. The HVAC guy who came out examined it, and said it was probably a power surge. Does that sound possible?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

No, a power surge is not a very good explanation. When was the last time the burner was tuned up?

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Also you need an oil burner tech to service the burner not a generic HVAC tech

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He was experienced in oil burners. We had Matthew come through, but had no flooding. He said the main board was burnt and that normally he'd see the secondary/smaller things (I can't remember what he called them) burnt, but when it is the main board (or whatever the heck you call it) that there is a good chance it was the power surge. Is there a reason to rule out power surge?
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Oil burner flames don't flicker unless there is a fuel problem. Was the burner motor slowing down when it flickered? If so then it could be an issue with the burner ignition control but it's not usually referred to a a board. Unlike gas fired furnaces most oil fired unit don't have a main control board. I'd need the model of you furnace to completely rule out a control board. That said a power surge can affect the electronics in either the ignition control or a control board. If the burner motor was running at normal speed then this is not likely an electrical issue.

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Do you have more questions?