HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

When new air vents are installed on radiators, how does it

Customer Question
When new air vents are...
When new air vents are installed on radiators, how long does it take them to work? I had 8 replaced and when I turn the heat on steam is coming out. They don't seem to close after the heat gets up.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: This is a 2 year old steam boiler. The thermostat settings are good.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: The work was just done by a plumber.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I still have some old air vents that were not replaced and they are working fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
10/24/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

They should close as soon as the steam hits them. If they're blowing steam then the pressure on the boiler is probably set too high. The pressure range on a residential boiler should be 1 to 3 psi. Most air valves are only rated to 5 psi

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer