HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Second opinion] - I am having a residential boiler issue.

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
10/11/2016
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, you need to tell us what the issue is before we can address your question. We need the boiler brand and full model number and approximate age and a fully elaborated description of what its doing or not doing... lacking such a description we are 100% helpless on this end.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Phil i don't like wasting my time typing out a full question if there is no one that understand boilers, which seems to be the case on this site. I have a peerless cast iron boiler (15 years old, unk model) that works fine except when the thermostat senses the correct room temp and shuts it off. At that point, there is silence for about a minute and then a relay from the (Honeywell L8148E) "clicks" which causes the auto flue damper to rotate once around and stop. it does this continuously every other minute until the thermostat calls for heat. When the boiler is running, the auto damper rotates to "open" and stops like it should. Any idea what this is? Bad relay? bad trace on the aquastat? I've checked the wiring and it's correct.

Hello again, several of us understand boilers, including myself and the expert who asked for the brand and model number in your original question.

Myself age 75 now have 50 years experience with most types and sizes of boilers and held a State of Calif unlimited design build boiler license for most of those years... 27 man crew the first 30 years at peak, the last 20 years consulting nationally on projects for IBM, standard oil, and boilers in many good sized buildings etc.

There are to identical configurations. The physics remain the same however.

Your guess is correct, its a stuck relay or bad trace in one of the printed circuits... if you have a zoned system it is most likely in the zone control printed circuit board...

I will opt out so that if you still need a more experienced or smarter boiler man your question will remain available.... we have several here... including Rick who has an even better background in boilers than myself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By zone control printed circuit board do you mean the aquastat? Also can one unstick a relay or replace just the relay?

Hello again, your system might be operating off of an aquastat alone, or it may have many rooms or areas of the house heated separately, in that case it will have an electronic zone controller with a printed circuit board and relays.

There are many brands and types of zone controllers... made by Honeywell, TACO and others... each with many different models.. this is why we need a detailed system description before we can help you.

Helping you in this instance however after you are already upset with what you feel is our incompetence leaves us wide open for a *negative rating and wasting hours of our time on top of it. (we are some of the most competent people in the business as evidenced by our 98%+ positive rating histories... myself as stated earlier with 55 years in the business and a licensed unlimited boiler contract before I retired.)

We work at our own expense here so most of us will opt out rather than take that chance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Who said I was upset?

Hello again,we have small cadre of world class boiler people here who can take a look at your issue if they choose to do so.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer