HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Furnace will not turn on, The filter is clean and in place,

Customer Question
Furnace will not turn on JA...
Furnace will not turn on
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: The filter is clean and in place
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to try to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Green LED light is on solid and red light is on solid
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
10/8/2016
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, that indicates a problem with one of the controls inside the furnace, we can however attempt a reset, that is a bit of a long shot however.

First make sure the air filter is new or cleaned, then turn power off to the furnace for 5 minutes, then turn the power back on.... tell me what if anything happens.

Also I need the full model number of the furnace, it is on a sticker inside the same compartment as the gas valve, and I need the approximate age of the furnace.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The error code is pressure switch open fault
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Model- KG7SC 120D-45D
6 years old?

Thanks, ***** ***** switch is a round hocky puck looking device with 1/4" rubber tubes attached. It can have the following problems:

1. Water (condensate) can collect in the tube. ( blow it out)

2. The tiny orifice inside the nipples that the tube connects to, can be clogged, (clean them out with a paper clip wire)

3. The hose can have dried out and have splits in the ends. (trim the ends)

4. The switch can be bad.

Do 1-3 first, if that fails we can do more complex tests on the switch pressure operation.

Next test:

restart the furnace, if the small inducer blower fails to start, then the error code is bogus (happens about 30% of the time)... if the inducer fan starts, wait 2 seconds, then fit a jumper wire across the two terminals on the pressure switch and hold it in place for 70 seconds... if the furnace starts, we know the pressure switch is bad (90% chance of that)

10% chance the furnace vent pipe is clogged with a wasps nest, or the blower wheel on the inducer fan has fallen apart.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer