Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have the hz311 honeywell zone controller.. i have 2 zones.

Customer Question

i have the hz311 honeywell zone controller.. i have 2 zones. i am trying to figure out how to get my dampers to stay closed while not calling for cold air.. ill try explain better i have 2 rooms.. one room needs heat from mid night to noon and the other needs heat from noon to midnight. so room 1 is off and room 2 is on. say room 2 is calling for heat and room 1 dampers is closed and room 2 is open and then room 2 meets temputure and the unit shuts off. it then opens both dampers wide open intill room 2 or 1 calls for heat again
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: not sure there is anything in thermostat for that trying keep dampers closed when there is nothing being called
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: its already running its been going for months just haven't used both rooms till now
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: or do u no if there is a way to get another damper and set it up to a timer and not a themostat
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello, you probably have them wired incorrectly.... tell me how many wires are attached to each damper please, and the model number of the damper.

The 2 wire dampers are spring open, and 24voltAC to close... it is also possible to adjust the damper blades on the damper motor shaft incorrectly, tell me if you done any of those adjustments or if you used the damper as it came (best way)

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are 3 wires to each damper
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am going back there in 2 hours but I no there are 3 wires from the controller to the damper
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They are the Honeywell truzone
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can not see last response
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you call me(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I used damper as it came
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** the model number of each damper then I will pull the manual on it and mark it up showing you the correct wiring.

http://screencast.com/t/vo0SZWvYepW

Phone calls are $25 extra, lets just stay in this dialog box for now,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay hold on
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ARD10tz
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

https://forwardthinking.honeywell.com/related_links/zoning/truezone_damper/install/33-00079EFS_B.pdf

That is an example of various models of dampers and the blade adjustments etc that can be made.

this is why I need each dampers model number

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Isn't that the model number
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Yes it is, I am looking it up now

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have the hz311 zone panel
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there anything else u need
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Let me know how that works, we can go from there if needed.

When you have what you need, please locate the 'finish and rate' link and click on it, that is the only way the company pays me for my time.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The second one u sent in the red circle that is how I have it wired.
3 wires one to open one to close and one to common
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, next read the instructions in that damper manual on how to set the blade adjustments. page 3

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/Techlit/TechLitDocuments/33-00000s/33-00040.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It doesn't have anything to do with that. They are both working opening and closing when calling for heat. It is when there is no call from either zone that they both open all the way.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are 3 positions in the front to open it half way or quarter way or all way
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

The dampers need to be set for *spring closed... right now they are set for 'spring open'... and that is the problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh okay I thought u ment the positions I'm sorry. Let me look at this
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Sometimes you have to rotate the damper disc on the damper motor shaft 90 degrees to reverse the 'spring open' so that it is 'spring closed'... that can be tricky but working with it for a bit solves that