HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My Honeywell L4080B1352 Aquastat on the Super Stoer Ultra

Customer Question
Hi, My Honeywell L4080B1352 Aquastat on...
My Honeywell L4080B1352 Aquastat on the Super Stoer Ultra indirect water heater Model SSU 30 has blown twice. I am now needing a third one. Funny thing is that I have anexact set up in another apartment and that aquastat has never given us trouble. Some places have discountinued L4080B1352 is there a replacement available that is more reliable? Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
10/2/2016
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, Honeywell's web site for the aquastats is down for a few hours, meantime It is likely that the wire size used for the aquastat with problems is too small and is burning off at the terminal connections,

Compare the wire sizes with the other aquastat that has not been giving you any trouble,

We can go from there without a time limit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can appreciate what you are saying as a possible reason why, but my question is ".. is there a reliable replacement available?"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello again, this is the honeywell cross reference and technical specifications web site for that controller.

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/60-0000s/60-2101.pdf

as you can see it is still down, I cannot do anything reliable for you until they get it back up.

That said, it is possible to adapt or jury rig any number of aquastats to replace the one you have, it can get complex, and I do not recommend it for a wide range of reasons, including safety reasons.

It is also nearly 100% likely that the overload, intermittent short or wiring size error that is causing the current aquastat to burn out will burn out whatever replacement you select.

I can call Honeywell for you on monday if you like if their site is still not up... let me know if you can suffer that wait or not. We can go from there.

A bit about myself, I am 75 years old, with 55 years in the boiler business..owned my own company with 27 staff and have thousands of repairs and larger projects under my belt, both hands on and in supervision of staff. I know what works and what doesn't. None the less depending on how many wiring and controls adaptions you are up to, I can locate an other aquastat to replace the one you have. It will be monday though before I can make any calls.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have found and ordered the aquastat already. Can we discuss how to install, please.

Yes, send me the wiring diagram that comes with the new aquastat (they make a dozen models) and a photo of the actual wire connections on the old aquastat and a photo of its wiring diagram glued to the inside of its cover.

That will be the most effective way to do this. Use the attach files link to the left of your send button for that.

Later I may also need the boiler wiring specifics...the wire configurations are not cut and dried but variable depending on the rest of the appliance.... mistakes very often leave a good size hole blasted into the ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't get to until tomorrow at the earliest because the plumbing supply is not open on weekend. bu t I will be in touch tomorrow.,

OK, that will work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually installed successfully, seemingly. Thank you. My question is still what would possibly be a replacement aquastat.

Hello again, the honeywell site is back up

That lists the entire range of available replacements.... each with different features (listed next to the item)

When we are finished please do not forget to locate the 'finish and rate' link, and follow the prompts... I will appreciate it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HI Just there and not up

it works on this end... see the screen shots below as an option

http://screencast.com/t/xkL3G5S0v

http://screencast.com/t/tPVqRfeT59

http://screencast.com/t/LRi2lxVG

which one depends on the application, that is covered in the last 3 pages of the PDF file.... it is likely that your workable controll is on a millivolt system, and this one that is giving you the trouble is wired into a much heavier 120 or 220volt load, that would burn out the contacts in short order.

I need a photo of the wiring diagram glued to the boiler that shows the entire circuit that the aguastat is wired into. Use the attach files link to the left of your send button.

Photo must be close up, well lit, and exceedingly well focused.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK

.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer