HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a venstar thermostat t8850 thermostat that appears as

Customer Question
Hi, I have a venstar...
Hi, I have a venstar thermostat t8850 thermostat that appears as offline on my cell phone. n store, its on the touch calibration screen but is frozen. How can I reset this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
10/1/2016
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, here is Venstars 95 page easy install and operators manual, we can begin there. There is no easy reset procedure that works in all cases. But you can try 'restart thermostat' page 59. last item on the thermostats programming menu.

http://files.venstar.com/thermostats/colortouch/documents/T8850_manual.pdf

You might like some background on this thermostat, its 95 pages of operating instructions (and related problems) compares to 5 or 10 pages of instructions that come with the major manufacturers thermostats such as Honeywell. I believe it is this complexity and follow on problems with the brand that have kept its sales at less than 1/2 of 1% of the market.

If the thermostat is older, it might be time to consider one of these replacement options.

We can go from here without any time limits.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This was of absolutely no help. I already had the manual.

Help is a step by step process....first step is a manual... then you reprogram the thermostat according to the manual. OR I can type out those 20 pages for you... but the manual is best it has screen shots etc.

My advice on getting rid of the Venstar thermostat and the reasons for doing it is still the most viable advice in my experience.. and I have a lot of experience (55 years in the business). That should have been helpful as well. I regret that it was not. that leaves you with Venstars 190 pages of fine print 'easy to follow' instructions.

Meantime I will opt out so other of our experts here can see your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks anyways. I fixed this issue even before I got an answer to it.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer