airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Have a Armstrong ultra AC 90. Turned thermostat to heat for

Customer Question

Have a Armstrong ultra AC 90. Turned thermostat to heat for first time this season. Vent fan runs and runs. After looking closer the fan kicks on, click and ingniter glows for maybe 10 seconds with no flame. Igniter turns off and fan continues to run. Gas and electric are on. Tried resetting breaker, turning gas off/on. Replaced the gas regulator valve inside the furnace a few years ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a volt meter to see if we are getting 24v to gas valve when ignitor glows?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That would be our first step really in troubleshooting/

If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Do you here the solenoid click on the gas valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check into multimeter at work tomorrow. Maybe can borrow.
Exhaust runs for about 10 seconds, click then igniter lights. Stays lit for maybe 15 seconds then off. Exhaust never shuts off. No other sounds.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

ll of that sounds good.Sounds like either board is not signaling valve or valve is not letting gas through. We can go from here. One quick question, did you try bleeding gas line and do you hear air or anything after ignitor glows?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sound of air. Furnace is only
Gas appliance we have, so has not been used since spring. How would I bleed the line?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If there is a union or a flare connector, just slightly crack the line until you smell gas.No smoking while doing so of course. (lol)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to nearly take the plug out of one of the T's and no sound/smell. Went out to the meter and the valve there appears to be open (in line with pipe and opposite locking with padlock) this is only other valve than one just before going into furnace. Do I have no gas pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm current on utilities :)
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If you get no sound of gas or air, we have no gas pressure. Could be a bad meter not allowing gas through.If you have a padlock, that needs to be removed.The only time a lock should ever be used is when OFF (Crossway) .You need to be able to turn off with a wrench in case of an emergency

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. So I should contact gas company? There is no lock, I could just see where one would go.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK. Yes my suggestion would be to call gas company .They may need to replace meter or adjust regulator at meter.I have also seen meters fill with water from condensation in line.Water will prevent flow of gas.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you want to get the meter but it definitely sounds like we probably have a pressure issue.You can leave question open until we are done or go ahead and rate and you still have 30 days to follow up at no charge.Thanks for letting me work with you to this point..