Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I am building a house with a volume builder. Their ductwork

Customer Question

I am building a house with a volume builder. Their ductwork installation is terrible in my opinion. The flex duct is severely compressed in many places. Cutting small holes and cramming it through.Some of them are turning 90° angles at the floor deck and some are compressed to about 1/4th of the diameter of the duct! Do I have any recourse with these guys? Now is the time to fix it because we're still in the framing phase, but I know they are going to fight me on it. I believe code states that the installation must comply the manuf. recommended installation guidelines, and I can't put my hands on one but I'm pretty confident that it doesn't all this.Any suggestions?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Do you live in a State that requires a building permit? If so your best course of action would be to talk to the building inspector. Many States also have a mechanical inspector. They should pick up on the shoddy workmanship and require that it is fixed before they pass the rough inspection.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we have a building permit. However, the city inspectors do not comment on quality of workmanship unless it is a code violation. I'm looking for someone to be able to tell me whether or not what I've described are code violations.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Yes it's a code violation but only if your locale enforces the Uniform Mechanical Code. Flex duct cannot be compressed or distorted.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We are under the 2012 IRC
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Give me a few to check if the IRC includes ductworks standards.

Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

What State are you in?

Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

IRC M1601.2
...factory made air ducts shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tx
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I wonder where I can find a particular manufacturer's installation instructions!
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

You'd first need to determine what brand flex they used then just Google the name. There's usually a lot of info including install instructions on manufacturer's websites

Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

But all manufacturer's specifically state that their flex cannot be crushed or distorted.

Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?