HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Can I connect both my old oil burner heating system (two

Customer Question
wires, red + white) with...
Can I connect both my old oil burner heating system (two wires, red + white) with my newer American Standard air conditioning system on a single Nest Thermostat?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2016
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

hi i am dan i can help you with this. it shouldnt be a problem is it a boiler you have or a warm air furnace? was there an existing central A/C before?

ok it is very easy to do on the nest. the red wire from the boiler will connect to R on the nest and the white wire will connect to W then the red wire from the A/C will connect to RC on the nest and all the other wires follow the same wiring.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
lastly I need a c-wire from the air conditioning unit. This is the manual, but I can't figure out what wire is Chttp://trane.americanstandardca.com/pdf/sistemas_ductos/MANEJADORAS/TAM7/MANUAL_DE_INSTALACION.pdf

ok is the outdoor unit a heatpump or just A/C

sorry i forgot to mention the B wire from your old tstat will go to C on the nest. trane uses B as the common wire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the AC is in the attic, the boiler is in the basement
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all I need to add is a wire to the c on nest and B on the air handler?

acording to your picture B was already conected to the old thermostat. that is the C wire

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh weird, why would they install the blue wire to C for a battery powered thermostat?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the blue wire goes into the Nest terminal for C-wire?

even though the thermostat has batteries some of them are still powered by the system. the batteries are a backup for when the unit loses power the tstat is still powered so you dont loose programming. the blue wire will conect to C the green to G and yellow to Y. if you have any more questions about this or if this answers all your questions please let me know and if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars at the top of your page i would appreciate it.

did you have any more questions about this?

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician