Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Carrier A/C. THermostat is set for 73, but indoor

Customer Question

I have a Carrier A/C. THermostat is set for 73, but indoor temp stuck at 80/81. outdoor unit fan running all day, but not cooling. A/c unit is only 2 years old.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 11 months ago.

Feel of the large copper line at outdoor unit and tell me if it is beer can cold and sweating? We will go from here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is.

OK great. if that line is cold, the outdoor unit is fine.Lets look at a couple of things.

1.Check indoor filter and make sure it is clean.

2.Ceck temperature of air at filter and air at register using a thermometer. We should have 17 to 20 degree cooler at register.

Let me know about these and we will go from here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have several ceiling air intake vents (three upstairs, two downstairs). I changed all those filters last week. Is that what you're referring to, or is there a separate filter? Also, is that the same as the air filter you describe in question 2?

Usually there is one large filter and grille at the indoor unit.Do you a have one large grill close to the unit? Pics might help me