Sean, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner HVAC company
64612473

For about a week now, our Lennox iComfort programmable

Customer Question

For about a week now, our Lennox iComfort programmable thermostat has been malfunctioning. It will run for about a half hour, and then the screen will go dark and unresponsive; the air handler will run for a few more minutes, then shut down.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Changed the settings from program to manual, but that made no difference; filter is fine.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, if I can.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: After the display blacks out it stays blank for almost exactly an hour. Then it will reboot itself and display a status of "system waiting" for about 4 minutes before once again beginning to cool. During the hour of blank screen, the 7 segment LED on the control board inside is displaying C124. Once the display comes to life and displays the "system waiting" status, the 7 segment LED gives only a blinking decimal point.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
Good evening
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good evening
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
Give me one second I'm logging into my Lennox platform, I'm a Lennox dealer so I wanna check.something
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a black box on air handler that says Lennox may be a router or something of that nature ?If your not sure please provide me if you know.the serial of the icomfort
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
There has been many generations of icomforts.... Wanna know which one were dealing with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CBX32MV SN 5811H07990
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe it's a WiFi type
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me?
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
I am, hang tight I'm experiencing issues with my Lennox site. Switching now to my iPad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-4
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
Alright, the model/serial you provided is for air handler, do you by chance have the model or serial of the I comfort?If you don't if you can take a picture of it and attach it I can do it by that way as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I get to that?
Quick, while it's still on..
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
Nevermind found it with your equipment. Let me dig into it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to have to pick this up some time tomorrow evening; need some sleep tonight.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.

I will write something up, Im really sorry! This has been a nighmare on my end, Im not sure whats going on but im not connecting correctly with just answers or my internet is going down non stop..... No clue.

Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.

I want you to check on this for me, When the screen goes blank, Have you checked the board immediately when it happens to see if its blank? Or is that when you see that code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While the screen is blank, the indicator is showing C124
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.

Which is a loss of communication code, This can be caused by 2 things usually, A bad control board or thermostat.

With that being said let me check on something in the morning and get back to you ok!

Can you confirm though on the air handler is there a small black box on the air handler that says lennox? Sometimes with these newer thermostats, they operate without wires

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, definitely no black box on the outside of the air handler.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Have you pulled off that thermostat off the wall?

If you have confirm the wires are tight, If you need to get to bed, That is perfectly fine, I will be working tomorrow but will have my phone on me and can touch base on and off throughout the day

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't figure out how to get the thermostat off the wall.
It doesn't want to com peacefully.
Doesn't just pop off like others I've seen.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.

Yeah I comforts are touchy.https://static.lennox.com/pdfs/owners/s30/Lennox_iComfortS30_Installation_Manual_Setup_Guide.pdf

See I have a deep feeling this is what were dealing with right

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to tackle it tomorrow.
Going to sleep now.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.

sounds good talk later :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you found any answers?
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
Because of experience in really thinking it's the icomfort. I'm sorry put in 15hr day today.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
I thought about this quite a bit today, board isn't failing... From what I'm understanding from you, the actual code you gave me is a code for loss of communication. So what I would start with is making sure all the wires are tight on the units board.Replacing the icomfort......well that's a whole animal in its self, I really wouldn't try it, I did over 2 days on full training on it to make sure it's communicating correctly.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
This unit was installed in 2012, it's still under warranty according to your serial you gave me above for 10yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great if it were under warranty. Only possible issue may be that we just bought this house, so we didn't' have the unit installed. Don't know if the warranty is to the original purchaser, or the unit itself.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
Should be, all Lennox dealers use same platform for checking warranties if you wanna give me ac model serial I'll check that also for you and give you everything I can see. Will be tomorrow..morning but at least you will know.Your warranty should be fine, labor is usually just for 1st year but I just did a warranty motor today for a customer that just purchased the home a year ago and everything was fine.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
Well if you would like anymore help please let me know.At the end please remember to rate me so I can be paid for my time helping you, this is how were paid as experts ;) thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just had the guy come out . . . drain line clogged, float switch shutting it down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have thought that a "smart" system would tell you when something as basic as that were going on.
Obviously, I wasn't smart enough to check it. But then again, this is the first system I've ever had with a float switch.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
I was actually thinking that this morning but with you saying board still lit displaying the code I was thinking that wasn't the problem so never brought it up
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other questions regarding it ?Do you have the icomfort hooked up to wifi ? So you can control on your phone ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's not wi-fi compatible.
Just dropped $186 on a service call.
I think I should get a refund from you.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
If you don't wanna pay don't pay.I am just a expert in field on a computer. I can't physically be there to fix things I went by what you were telling me. Your my ears and eyes and this is what I was coming up with.If I was there it would have been a easy fix as you can see from guy.So if your not satisfied with my help then you owe nothing.Thanks for using just answers.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I've already paid $28.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
Not to me. I get nothing unfortunally for doing this unless I get a rating. I'll put you too customer service and they can go from there.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 year ago.
I'm out working so when I get home I can only do it from my laptop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
I'd appreciate it.