HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I've never used this site before - if I pay, does the cost

Customer Question
include follow up questions? JA: I'll...
I've never used this site before - if I pay, does the cost include follow up questions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: not long
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

You can follow up for 30 days after rating the expert at no additional charge.

I will be happy to assist you with your Problem if you can provide details including model on equipment you are having problems with.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I currently have a Carrier ComfortZone II zone system with 3 zones that was put in in 2008.
The system works fine - but I dislike the main control thermostat, as my wife is the only one that can figure it out. With the advent of more automated climate options (ipad app) I am wondering if I can upgrade this. I've tried to simply change out the thermostats with nest and Ecobee that is wifi capable and simple to use, but have been advised that the system is proprietary that no other thermostat would work.
Do I have any options? Or should I be waiting for Carrier to upgrade the ComfortZone II system?
I've seen on this site that a previous individual suggested going to the Honeywell Trol-a-Temp Zone board or a Honeywell Truezone. On one of the other sites I saw, someone switched to the Honeywell Truezone and the Carrier damper actuators were making a small humming sound, like they were still energized, and found a thread on here that said the Carrier system only powered the actuators for a bit, then stopped, but the newer panels like TruZone are continuously powered. This seems like it is going to burn out the Carrier actuators. Can you advise?

The Comfortzone II is designed specifically to work with that thermostat .You would need to replace the entire zonesystem including the control panel to use a different thermostat

I am unable to take phone call right now. This will be presented to my colleagues so you may get a call from one of them if available.I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may be available and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk and delay getting assistance..Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.Leaving a poor service rating will not

HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Phone call session started
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer