HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a venstar T5900 and the heat pump setting are

Customer Question
disable. Even if the jumpers...
I have a venstar T5900 and the heat pump setting are disable. Even if the jumpers at the back are set to HP
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: The filters are good. And yes I double checked the setting
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes because the technician didn't know the venstar brand
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

PLease tell me exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Are you installing the thermostat and need to knowhow to set it up for your heat pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I added an heat pump today by a technician and everything works. But I need to set the heat pump setting because the furnace need to start at -12Celsius. The jumper at the back of the venstart T5900 is set to HP O ELEC. The wiring diagram seems to be ok. I have a wire at W2,W1,Y1,G,C, R. But in the installation setting all button in the section Heat pump setting still disabled.

Is furnace gas or is it an electric air handler?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Electric

OK now here is how the heat pump works. On call for ac it is just like an air conditioner. But on heat, the heat pump and backup strips can work together. Are you trying t set it up so the heat pump will lock out at -12 Celsius?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is a wire in W1/O/B

Chat is fine.You are not obligated for phone call.

I see that now. Thanks

Next lets go to the installation setting menu. Do you know how to get there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm on that menu

OK in Installation settings what do you have the Heat and Cool stages, compressor stages and aux heat stages?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In Heat and cool stages, I have only the compressors stages enabled and Aux Heat Stages enables
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The heat and cool stages button is disabled

OK is there a dropdown menu to select HEAT PUMP Settings?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but inside of it every buttons are disabled

OK what do you have selected for Heat and Cool stages? And can you change that?

WE should have heat pump 2 stage heat 1 stage cool

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The aux stages is set to 2, the compressor also 2 but the heat&cool stages seems to be setted by default at 2h1c but I can't change it since it is disabled

Can you change aux and compressor to 1 stage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Done

Do you have access to Heat Pump Settings now (HP Lockout/AUX Heat Lockout etc?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Looks like it is wired correctly ad dip switches set properly. so it should be recognizing you have a heat pump

Let sgo to the Main Menu again,Then settings, and see if we get an option for heat pump settings

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have the menu in installation setting but when I go there every buttons in the heat pump settings are disabled.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The switches are like in the picture.
The Heat and cool stages still (2h1c)
The compressor is (1)
The Aux heat stages is (1)But other information that can help you I have another menu that is not it the manual "Auto demand response" in the setting menu.

That should not effect us as far as the thermostat recognizing our heat pump.I suspect we may have a defective tstat.out of box.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is a tstat ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I can Vanstar ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry
Should I call Vanstar?

I would do that first. Explain everything we have done and se if they have a solution.If not they should replace it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

Lets leave the question open until we find what they say and get this figured out if you don't mind.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok no problem. I'm describing the problem on the venstar site. I'll let you know as soon as I get an answer.

Sounds great.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help.

Thanks for letting me work with you to this point

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Finaly, the guys from venstar said to me that I need an outdoor temperature sensor to enabled those buttons.

Thanks for the update. I thought the thermostat would obtain outdoor temp by the wi fi connection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought this also but I don't see any menu to set it by the wifi even if it's displayed.

I know on the Honeywell there is no adjustment that is settable, but wifi automatically displays outdoor temp in your zip code.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer