airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a goodman heat pump PGBQ36075-1A....trying to wire up

Customer Question

Hello...I have a goodman heat pump PGBQ36075-1A....trying to wire up a Honeywell
Thermostat RTH6500WF
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

First I need how many wires were attached to the old thermostat.

What color was on what terminal?

Thermostat wire colors vary so I need the old terminal placement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red white yellow green......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red has a jumper between. ..RH and RC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new thermostat has no RH & RC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
G went to green.......y went to yellow.....w went to white
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red went to RH and RC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

sorry for delay I just saw your response and am working on it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

does your terminal block in new thermostat look like this

Click Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

sorry that the site is slow...I am drawing you a plan

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

we have all we need except a C wire....do you have an extra wire in cable not used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check I'll wait
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Other wires HERE...unless you do not have an extra wire for C then we need to switch some things at thermostat AND in the unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
orange blue and black......my guess is black is C......for common ground
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Ok what you need to do is pick blue or black and put on C.....then go to the ac unit at the other end of the thermostat wire....and put that wire on C. So lets say it is black.

Black on C at thermostat and black on C in unit. Make sure unit is powered down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well sorry ol buddy this is where you lost me....took off the panel on the outside unit.....no small wires like come in the house
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Follow the thermostat wires. At the unit follow where the power wires enter...or you can take pics and post here using attach files link and I can direct....we are almost there..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No small wires exit the unit......only number 10 stranded wires exit by way of conduit.....I don't see any small wires in the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Solid number 22 wires in the house.....what do you think about a volt meter between red and black in the house
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or red and blue in the house
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

See Here

did you see a circuit board in the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way no reading between red and black or red and blue
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

excellent.....on this circuit board will have to be terminals just like on the thermostat.

Can you show me a pic of the circuit board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to take it apart again...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There they are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In house
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Got it.....this unit used wires from the plug on the board....just a sec

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

the plug with like 9 wires on the board...follow the red wire..does it go to a wire nut connection?

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red wire runs to transformer
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

ok we are so close...see here to find various C terminals....any wire of the terminal marked is a common you can use or tap into

and HERE explains the plug on that board...we only want that to follow back to thermostat wires to find your available black

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's where you lost me.....I followed the gray transformer wire to a big really....there are several grounds there......but don't see where to find the small wires that run in to the house
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

On this drawing look where marked "thermostat".

Those wires on that drawing go to that plug. There are 2 reds in the plug and you already found one goes to transformer. Then on drawing you will see Y and G and W.

The y and W also go to this plug....those wires have to attach to our thermostat wire. So follow the other red, yellow or white from the plug to where they connect...and will be our thermostat wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no small wires on or around outside unit....or circuit board....otherwise. I could retire what you're talking about
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

ok do this.....the wire on the drawing that goes from THERMOSTAT I marked....follow that and tell me or show me what it attaches to. They could have spliced different wire to go outside..but we still know it is thermostat wire.

So show me where that yellow or second red lead to....

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

not the plug end..we are following it backwards...away from plug

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I have to clear out some downloads so will be about 5 min

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok got it......they only ran number 10 stranded wires from that plug to more number 10 wires...I can see them taped together.....what I don't see is where they go....and where they conect to the set of small wire.....other then crawling under the house to maybe finding the small wires....it's dark here...and I get up at 3:00 in the morning for work....one last idea from your end and I'm in bed
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

the bad news,,,,you have to find the splice where it converts from what you see at he thermostat to what ends up at unit.

I will check back with you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so glad we can do that....how do we
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok contact me tomorrow about 5:30...***-***-****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
either here or the phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coz I don't know how to get with you again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello....hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I have to get to bed.....hope to hear from you tomorrow
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you have access from either end of the wire....somewhere between the thermostat and the unit the wire changes with a splice. So it looks like you would have to start in the crawl space where the thermostat wire drops down...find where it comes through floor into crawl space.. then follow to the splice. See if the black or blue is even hooked up...and if not you will need to splice that in...then attach that wire in unit to where I described.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm home...14 hours in a log truck....I don't think I'll be going under the house tonight....so how long do we have to work this out....
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

as long as you have the patience to put up with me.

I dont think I want to work with you after 14 hr log hauling...how about another day?

This can go hrs, days, weeks....they are all different.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They ? What are all different
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I meant the projects we get here...some take a few minutes and others take a month...so do not feel in a hurry.

Just let me know as you make progress

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great..we will get it I'm sure
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

just the daily check in..no need to respond if your not ready

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't finished yet....will call again hen I crawl under the house....haven't forgot you...just very busy.....I see they took my money....so hang on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I get time we will finish were NOT done
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Just respond when ready.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crawled under the house.....I don't think I'm ready to pull down any insulation....I didn't see the wires.... measured from the wall to the thermostat went back underneath measured from the wall to the crawlspace don't really think I should pull down any insulation departed though around the measurement area don't see the wires but for now I'm done breathe in the insecticide powder I'll get back to you
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Looks like your expert has opted out.I am Tim and I will take over from here.I have read your previous dialogue and see that at this point you do not see the control wires between units without pulling down insulation.I totally understand you not wanting to do that.

There are two very simple options here. Our issue is that the new thermostat requires a C wire where old one did not.

Since we know the current wires worked before all we really need is to get you a C wire from unit to thermostat

One solution is to buy a piece of 18/2 control wires from Lowes and run it between thermostat and unit .Connect to C on thermostat and blue as shown in picture below.

The other solution is to purchase an add a wire adapter as shown at this link:

http://smartthermostatguide.com/c-wire-venstar-add-a-wire-adapter-review/

You can order it here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013LVDQA/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=99591324911&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2766850017103369189&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012943&hvtargid=kwd-197439226871&ref=pd_sl_738bqpzb1l_b

Let me know and we can go from here. After we are done you can rate answer or rate when ready and we have 30 days to work on this at no additional fee.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

On the link to the add a wire solution watch the video.If you decide to go that route I will be happy to guide you as I know you do not have the terminal block in your unit.Just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the problem.....there is stranded single wires taped to the wires coming off the board plug......I don't find the 7 wire group that comes out of the wall in the house.....when they put the unit in ......my guess is....the didn't have the length of 7 wire to reach the main unit.....so.....they spliced in single wires to reach the 7 wire group......or I would have done what the other tech said......witch was to come off the transformer (gray) wire and tie in to the black wire in the group
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK everything was working with everything wired as it is with old thermostat other than having a wire from C, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As you can see there is already a two wire set coming through the wall.....I don't see these wires at the main unit ....I thought we needed a ground back to the main unit....NOT power....what voltage do I need
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

all we need is a "24 volt common wire" not a ground. The old thermostat did not need a 24v complete circuit to thermostat as it was battery powered.

Here is how it works,

Your transformer sends 24 volts out through 2 wires (HOT and COMMON).The common goes to all 24 v relays (fan, gas valve, outdoor contactor etc) at all times.

The HOT goes to R at thermostat

Thermostat is basically a "light switch" opening and closing circuits.

On call for HEAT R and W closes the circuit to gas valve

On call for AC , R ,G and Y should all close sending circuit to blower and outdoor unit

On call for FAN R and G should close the circuit to blower

Now the new thermostat just like relays ,contactor. etc requires a COMMON.

Can you run anew wire from thermostat to the unit?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If you are unable to run new wire to C , the simplest thing to do is going to be to buy that adapter I mentioned, Forget tracing or trying to figure out all of the other wires,as they were working as they were.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

THis gray wire is where we will pick up C.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

et me a better pic of the 9 wires going to plug an dI will tell you which goes to what on thermostat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't happen today.....13 hours in a old truck.....I'll try it this weekend....hopefully
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No problem just touch base every day if you can so question stays open

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't touch base everyday....sorry....I'm not even home everyday.....bet I will when I'm thinking about it....I might have time tomorrow after Church
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is fine.Just if question goes without a positive rating and no correspondence it times out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can only do our best.....Billy (the first helper) told me he would be there till we had it.....I hope we don't get in a have to mode....
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Just come back when ready.If question times out, your deposit will be on hold.You can start a new question if it does, explaining what you have covered.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello....after months....I have the common wire wired up to the thermostat......now we're down to makin sure