WCohn
WCohn, Construction Worker
Experience:  Been in contruction 18+years
6211579

Fan in furnace turns on and thermostat goes to solid cool on

Customer Question

Fan in furnace turns on and thermostat goes to solid cool on but outside unit will not start any ideas where to go
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: Just change the thermostat so im thinking no on thermostat issue
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If i can if not i guess i will have to call someone but i would like to try to repair it myself first
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This happened once before about 2 months ago when thermostat died but it did eventually come back on
Category: HVAC
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

So if I understand you correctly, The system is asking for 'COOL" outdoor unit isn't doing anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

If you have something long and skinny that will fit in the slot of the outdoor unit force the fan to spin and let me know if it stays spinning

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does it spins freely
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

But does it continue to spin by itself?

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Like under power of the fan motor?

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Spin it hard if you can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it does nothing no matter how much or how hard u spin it
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Thermostat does indeed say COOL?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does but if you reset the termostat it says cool and flashes then about 5 mins later it goes solid cool on but no outside unit
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

The 5 minute delay is normal to prevent short cycling. If the fan kept spinning you'd have a bad start capacitor, but since that isn't it then it most likely is a bad contactor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the contactor located and is it something u can buy at ur local hardware store
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Its in the outdoor unit. It could be other things such as computer board, thermostat, thermostat wiring, low voltage transformer, but most "LIKELY" the contactor. They are cheap and available at heating supply houses. They look like this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a good place to start thx
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

No problem they are cheap too. Please leave me a 5 star rating and tips are greatly appreciated too. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions before you rate me or are you satisfied with my service?