HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Need help wiring my ac capacitor

Customer Question
Need help wiring my ac capacitor
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
8/29/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

What is the model on the ac unit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mc36-6g

Is his a central ac unit?Not seeing this as a good model. Is there a diagram on the unit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a roughly 40yr old unit. The fan motor went out. Replaced it with a like unit. I can get the fan to work, but every time I connect the compressor, it trips the breaker. And yes, central ac.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is a diagram on the panel.

1. Is that number off of the outdoor unit?

Can you attach a pic of that diagram?

Usually we will have 3 terminals on capacitor.

Fan, COM and HERM

Compressor has 3 wires. One to T1 on contactor, one to T2 on contactor and the other to HERM on Capacitor

Fan has 3 wires. One to T1 on contactor , one to T2 on contactor and one to FAN on capacitor

Then there is a wire from T2 on contactor to COM on capacitor.

Often the wire from compressor or fan will go to the COM on capacitor instead of directly to T2 as COM is fed from T2 on capacitor.

Give ,me a minute to look at those images

Let me draw this for you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's no identification on either capacitors.

OK so fan you have figured out yes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe so. It spins.

OK I am drawing the diagram for the large compressor cap

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

OK here is what you will do.

1.You have 2 power wires coming into the unit.One will go to L1 and the other will go to L2 on the contactor

2.You will have a wire coming off of T1 on contactor going directly to C on compressor

3.You will have a wire coming from T2 on contactor and going to R on compressor and one side of the compressor capacitor

4. You will have a wire from other side of compressor capacitor going to S on compressor.

See the drawing I made

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does it matter which side on the capicitor?

NO makes no difference on a single cap

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have it hooked up right. It still throws the breaker once I supply power. Only after I hook up the compressor. And I believe it's only after I hook the two wires to the contactor.

Sounds like a bad compressor. Do you have a multimeter for troubleshooting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do.

Excellent. Turn power off. remove wires from compressor terminals. Set meter to read continuity. Put one lead on a known ground such as clean refrigerant copper line or a ground screw. Then touch other meter lead to each terminal on compressor and see if we get a reading from any terminal to ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unless I'm doing it wrong, I'm getting nothing

OK that is GOOD. We don't want any reading there. Next put one lead on each of the terminals . (R to C, C tor S and S to R)See if we get a continuity reading there between terminals

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, still nothing. Meter says less than 20 ohms.

OK we should get a reading between each of those.It will not be very many ohms.Are you saying we have ohms but below 20?

Watch this video starting at about 2:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IiIIMcAVGE

Then watch this one on ohming to ground .Let me know results of both of those tests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZQ6tr72I0I

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Either i got really numbers or my meter is bad. The highest i got was 2.

OK that is fine. But please verify for me you did get some reading between each and every compressor terminal but nothing from any terminal to ground?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did get a reading from each terminal wire.

Excellent and we should. This means either the compressor is mechanically seized or the capacitor is bad.Does your meter read microfarads? If not you can take the cap to a supply house to have it checked.

Leaving office for the evening.Nowhere to get cap tested or replaced tonight anyway so I will check in with you tomorrow morning.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician