HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Low head pressure and slightly high suction pressure on a…

Low head pressure and...

Low head pressure and slightly high suction pressure on a rtu gas pkg

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

R22

8/11/2016
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, so far it sounds like the valves inside the compressor might be going bad. Tell me about how old the gas pack is, and the numbers on the name plate spot welded on to the compressor.. and the brand, copeland or techumseh

We can go from there

Tennessee Rooftop Gas Package R22 Unit Model = GCS16-090-200-2Y Serial = 5602D-00678
First Action was acid test on circuit #1 and #2 negative for acid. Diagnosis Circuit 2 mechanical compressor failure ZR45KC-TF5-235 removed and installed ZR48K5ETF58OD with new C163S filter/drier. Pressure at suction port 70# ***** high side port 275#. outdoor ambient last two days 90's. Circuit #1 is off pending further troubleshooting.

Close the liquid line valve on circuit #2, then force the compressor to run and let it run until it gets to 0 psig on the suction side, then put your hand on the compressor suction line and tell me if it heats up real fast when you shut the compressor off, and if you hear a gushing sound, and tell me how fast the suction pressure rises.

We can go from there

I did see that on circuit #1 before I replaced the filter drier and the freon. it isnt pulling in the contactors for circuit #1. But I did check it by manually holding the contactors in and charged it up about 150 # on the high side and then abandoned it for the moment. Seemed to be charging fine. The gauges are still connected on the circuit #1 and the static seems to not be equalizing over time. Im not sure how much only running one circuit affects performance in extreme temps
Im not sure this model is equipped with shutoff valves??

Send me 5 or 6 photo's of the unit with the service panels off, taken from about 8 feet away, and very well lit and focused... I will point out the various valves if they exist to you.

Use the paper clip icon on the right end of the tool bar, or the paper clip icon at that left of your send button to attach the pictures

We can go from there

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Phone call session started