HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Not sure what is going on with my Honeywell thermostat. It

Customer Question
Not sure what is going...
Not sure what is going on with my Honeywell thermostat. It is coming on 3 hours earlier than scheduled and when it does so, Return flashes. Perhaps it is on an early start setting (don't have the manual to figure those out) but three hours early seems excessive for that.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
8/2/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Return is one of the time period settings. Other typical periods are WAKE, LEAVE & SLEEP. So you'd set leave to the time you leave the house to go to work for example and return is when you get back. If you want specifics (or the manual) on how to program your unit I need the model number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am very familiar with how to program it. It is set for return at 4:30 but is coming on at 2:30. To clarify, when it comes on at 2:30 pm (instead of 4:30 as programmed) it says Return, but it doesn't flash. I tried to fix a setting, guessing which might be an Early On, but that didn't work. Now, when I switched it back on, the temporary setting won't override it's programming.

It wouldn't flash RETURN when it's in the return period. The only temporary setting I know of is a temporary HOLD. If you set the RETURN time to 4:30 and it comes on (says return) at 2:30 then the thermostat is defective and needs to be replaced unless you can live with that discrepancy. A work around might be to program the return time a couple hours later and if the discrepancy holds true then it will come on when you wanted it to.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The model number is *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did correct the part about it flashing in a message above. That was an error.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also have the issue of the temp setting not being able to override the programming that just happened.

I don't know what you mean by "I also have the issue of the temp setting not being able to override the programming that just happened."
Your only override option is a temp or "permanent" HOLD aside from reprogramming. Give me a few and I'll see if I can find your manual

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I mentioned above, it is running now and saying return.I just tried to do a Temp override, raising the setting to a very high level so that it would switch off. It didn't but continued to run, cooling to the Return temp.I finally found the manual online and it says that there is an Early Start setting that will switch it on early to cool to a temp by the Return time, but doesn't say how to switch Early Start on and off. I know how to get into the settings (hold up and down keys for 5 secs) but have no guide to what the six settings are and which might be early start.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found it too.

I don't have any more info than what's in the manual. I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 1 year ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Do you still need help?

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer