HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Where is the fuse on the Armstrong Ultra SX 80? 48 hours.

Customer Question
Where is the fuse on...
Where is the fuse on the Armstrong Ultra SX 80?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 48 hours. Had an Ecobee 3 installed 7 weeks ago with no problem. 2 days ago the AC went off and the Ecobee was reading crazy high room temp reading. Ecobee tech had me rewire it (it was previously installed by a certified electrician) and now it won't work. They told me told check the 5 amp fuse. Can't find it. Is it like a car fuse?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it's just a matter of checking/changing a fuse, then yes. I rewired it per the recommendations.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The AC unit could be over 20 years old. So the problem could've originated with that. But no power coming from furnace panel, per Ecobee tech. Is there a fuse on that panel?
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: I just changed it yesterday.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/1/2016
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 1 year ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

The fuse is exactly like a car fuse and will be on the printed circuit board which is usually located in the blower compartment.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like on a car, just a small plastic fuse with no wires attached. I'm looking right at the board and I don't see it.

Yup, looking at your pictures.

Board is pretty dirty. Look for a fuse similar to this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the filter in the right direction, by the way? I didn't put that in (another family member did).

Arrow should point towards furnace.

That looks OK.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't find the fuse :(

Your board may not have one, then. Not all boards have fuses although the majority do.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would I know if it broke then?

You would need to take some voltage readings for me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a voltage reader. Gotta go get one.

OK, let me know, please.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer