HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My Goodman central cooling air conditioner CAPF4860C6AA is

Customer Question
Hi, my Goodman central cooling...
Hi, my Goodman central cooling air conditioner CAPF4860C6AA is leaking water, and I was trying to read up on what to do first.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: No, I am not sure how to do that.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't know where it is located exactly
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i would like to do it myself if possible.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
7/28/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

This sounds like your condensate drain is clogged. If you have a wet vac and can cut the condensate drain line I can give you instructions on how to clear it. Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Rick!
How do I cut the condensate drain line?

You can cut it with a hack saw or any wood cutting hand saw.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just left my house, I will try again in about 30 mins. I just realized I don't know what the condensate drain line looks like.

I can point it out to you if you can post a picture of your AC coil box here. It's usually 3/4" PVC pipe. You can post a pic here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button. Get back to me when you're on site. I'm online more or less until 7 pm Eastern. I do take breaks so I'll get back to you as soon as I can

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, thanks!

You're welcome

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I need any tools? Just in case I don't have them, so I can get some while I am out.

You need a saw and a wet vac. PVC cuts like wood so any saw that will cut wood will cut PVC. You also need a coupling to put it back together. If your drain is like almost every drain it's 3/4" PVC so you'd need a 3/4" PVC coupling.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a wet vac and they are a bit expensive. My home depot near me doesn't have rentals as well. Is there an alternative?

I'm sorry there is no other effective method. But you might be able to get the drain flowing without a wet vac it's just likely to clog again sooner rather than later. I see several wet vacs on the HD site for under $50 which is a lot less than a service call to an HVAC company. However while there is a very good chance this method will solve your problem I can't guarantee it will. If I was in your position I'd risk the $50 rather than pay the $100+ sure thing cost of a pro to come out.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer