Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am trying to wire a nest thermostat on a trane Central

Customer Question

I am trying to wire a nest thermostat on a trane Central heat and air, to replace a trane comfort link II thermostat that crapped out for a second time
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The old thermostat is only using 3 wires D, R, B
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I am getting voltage to the thermostat, the old thermostat screen is blank, I replaced a battery CR2032, and the thermostat is still blank
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

The ComfortLink 2 is a communicating thermostat. The Nest is not. These are two different types of thermostats.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can I replace the comfort link with from home depot to get my ac running again
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the standard connections on your board? R,C,W,Y, and so forth?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Says your credit card failed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cancel the chat session please.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

You want to close question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks