HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

We moved in a house that has a Hunter thermostat. We think

Customer Question
We moved in a house...
We moved in a house that has a Hunter thermostat. We think it may be an older model (no manuals here). The entire screen went blank. The air is still on, but we have no idea what the temperature is at or if it is even working correctly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
7/15/2016
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 1 year ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

What likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We do not know the model to this thermostat. it is probably an old model (saw nothing like this on-line). It looks like an old picture frame. We do not see a way to open the thermostat.

The fuse is not in the thermostat it is in the furnace or airhandler

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My situation is this: We are having quite a storm right now (and strong winds). When it subsides, we can take a flashlight and go check the unit. If we need a new fuse, we will have to wait until tomorrow, as this is a small town and the local hardware store is closed. If I rate this conversation, are we done? Can I get help from you tomorrow? Do I have to sign in and pay again? I did sign up for the "middle" program. I think it was unlimited call for the month.

After a rating you will get a link directly back to me for all the FREE questions...anytime...it is the easiest way to get back to me!

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH