HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have the following issue with my central air unit. It

Customer Question

Hello, I have the following issue with my central air unit. It turns on for 30 seconds then shuts off repeatedly. (cycles on and off) but doesn't stay on. I've changed the capacitor and the relay on the compressor but to no avail. the cooling line is cold but the system continues to cycle on for 30 seconds then turns off for 30 seconds then on and so forth This is the modle number of my Reheem unit (RAJC-036JAS)
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

Check and see if the contactor is losing power and tripping the unit on and off. Use a volt meter to see if you are losing power there, you could have a bad contactor on the unit or possible a low voltage supply issue to the contactor causing the issue.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean when mentioning contactors. i did replace what I think is the contactors on the compressor which has wires going to the fan and the compressor. is that what you're referring to.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

This is the contactor

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats the contactor I replaced. I did hold it down and it was running for 2 min then shut off.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK so it did shut off when you had it held down? If so check and see if you lost power to the contactor itself as it should not have been been able to shut off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I held it down for 20 sec then it held for 2 min. If I hold it down for 5 sec it wont hold. After it held and ran for 2 min the freon line was not cold anymore and it continued cycling again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right now Its been cycling for 1/2 hour and the freon line is still cold, but it wont stay on. but if I hold it down it holds but after 2 min it stops and the freon line is air temp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it cycles again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi are you still with me?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am still here

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a copy of the wiring diagram on it and what brand unit is this model and age?