HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My entire ac system freezes up including the outside

Customer Question
condenser...
My entire ac system freezes up including the outside condenser
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2016
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 1 year ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Are you saying the lines are icing back to the compressor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is icing back to the compressor

The unit is likely low on freon and will need to be recharged.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have a sight glass by the compressor. When the system defrosts should I see bubbles if it is low on freon?

When it is running you should see liquid freon flowing through it, if it is icing like that it is low. 99.9999%

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I respect your opinion but would like a second opinion and am will to pay for it. Can you arrange that for me?

Why dont you just get a pressure gauge and see what the pressures are on the system to see if the unit is low on freon or not that would be the best way to tell. If you want another tech just rate my service and this will be posted out to other techs

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did deal with another tech on Just Answer who told me that the problem could either be low freon or not enough return air - clogged evaporator coil or clogged return filter... The problem was not enough return air. How do you suggest that we proceed?

In your question you stated the return air was clean.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked through the conversation and couldn't find that I said that. Even if the filters were currently clean,the coil could be clogged.with dirt.

OK I am taking it you do not want to credit either of us techs take care.

HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

HI my name is ***** ***** I will take over to help you with your issue.

Are you ready?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you sure that this is your answer to this situation, insulting me? You overlooked the possibility that turned out to be the problem.

I am Luke, another tech, lets start fresh OK.

Not Overlooking and putting priority on the air restriction issue was the best response, can I assist you with that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Luke, The problem is solved and I appreciate your help. It was an air restriction problem and the place was 62 degrees this morning, with no frost.
HVAC Guru said that he was 99.999% sure it was a low charge. I was just trying to give him an opportunity to say that he didn't help me and let's forget the whole thing -credit back his charge. .
No harm was done. Instead he became defensive and rude.If it is OK with you I will rate you tonight when I am finished with work. I appreciate your help and, off course, will give you the great rating that you deserve.Peter

Best regards, ***** ***** for other tech's inappropriate response.

Sincerely

Gaztech1

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Luke, I know that this is not your situation, but am I also being charged for the other tech? It appears that you took over for him, Is this correct?Thanks,
Peter

Hello Peter

You are not charged twice for your question. this is a issue that needed to be resolved correctly and that is why I stepped in.

BTW. is you furnace hi efficiency Gas?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is a 95% unit. Thanks for your help

Ok you will need to inspect the secondary heat exchanger for restriction, it is accessible by removing blower and just above that will be it, it looks like a radiator coil and tend to get blocked, if it is use a brush and vacuum to remove all deposits

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** your reply. I will look into this. This AC unit is in a 700 sq/ft store that has a kitchen with a commercial hood.
The company that designed the hood installed a make-up air duct with 4 x 90 degree bends that was much too small without the bends. I actually bought an Anemometer to measure the exhaust and make-up air. The exhaust was 1900 cfm and the intake was 700 cfm.The furnace is at the back of the store. When they run the exhaust no air gets to the furnace and that why it iced and that's why the filter was clean.

Imagine that!!

Good job, just goes to show that there is all kinds of issues with all kind of causes.

Best regards

Luke

Gaztech
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician